[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [PROPOSAL] - maintain projected release date for 1.7

From: Daniel Shahaf <d.s_at_daniel.shahaf.name>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:51:28 +0300

Can't we assume that the date for the GA release is whatever the release-process.html page documents it to be --- ie, date of the RC plus four weeks plus or minus however the package-the-tarball-that-doesn't-have-rcN-in-svn_version.h process works --- unless the RM says otherwise on dev@?

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:44 -0400, "Mark Phippard" <markphip_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hyrum K Wright
> <hyrum.wright_at_wandisco.com>wrote:
> > As for a specific date, I'm hesitant to commit to something. While I
> > certainly appreciate the utility, my crystal ball just isn't that
> > clear. I guess it boils down to the fact that I've been telling
> > people my guess about 1.7's release date for *years*, and I'd rather
> > under promise and over deliver on this one than vice versa. Maybe I'm
> > getting commitment fatigue. :)
> >
> I am not asking you to predict whether this will be our final release
> candidate or not. I am saying let's publish a date where we will start the
> process and do the release if this RC holds up. If we have to re-soak for
> some reason then obviously we have to reset the date. I would also expect
> you to look at your own schedule. For example the 4-week date might fall on
> a time when you are traveling so that it would have to be done the next
> week. This is the sort of think the rest of us cannot know if we just try
> to look at the calendar and add 4 weeks. It does not do any good for me to
> project the date if you already know that you are not going to be able to
> actually do the work on those days.
> You mention being flexible with the date if something comes up. In
> > which case, why even set a date at all? It feels a lot like releasing
> > a release candidate that isn't really a candidate for release. ;)
> >
> > I would expect us to make a best-effort commitment. If you say it is going
> to be on a specific date I would expect you to do it on that date unless
> something comes up. Like I said, obviously if the software itself is not
> ready we have to reset the date. Otherwise, I am just saying that if
> something you do not foresee were to come up. Such as needing to do
> something work/school related then I would understand if you have to notify
> us of a change.
> I want to know because there is a lot of stuff I have to do when a release
> comes out and I have to coordinate the resources I need to do it all. Since
> some of those resources are shared, it even impacts non-SVN related
> projects. I also want to do a GA Subclipse release right around the GA
> date. We have already done the 1.7 compat work, but knowing the date gives
> an idea how much time we have to work on new features before we freeze for
> the final release. I am sure I am not the only one in this boat. I assume
> there are people at WanDisco that want to know when they will have to build
> and QA binaries for the release.
> Is there any reason we cannot simply be public about the forecasted date if
> this RC holds up?
> --
> Thanks
> Mark Phippard
> http://markphip.blogspot.com/
Received on 2011-08-31 18:51:58 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.