[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [PROPOSAL] - maintain projected release date for 1.7

From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:44:28 -0400

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hyrum K Wright

> As for a specific date, I'm hesitant to commit to something. While I
> certainly appreciate the utility, my crystal ball just isn't that
> clear. I guess it boils down to the fact that I've been telling
> people my guess about 1.7's release date for *years*, and I'd rather
> under promise and over deliver on this one than vice versa. Maybe I'm
> getting commitment fatigue. :)

I am not asking you to predict whether this will be our final release
candidate or not. I am saying let's publish a date where we will start the
process and do the release if this RC holds up. If we have to re-soak for
some reason then obviously we have to reset the date. I would also expect
you to look at your own schedule. For example the 4-week date might fall on
a time when you are traveling so that it would have to be done the next
week. This is the sort of think the rest of us cannot know if we just try
to look at the calendar and add 4 weeks. It does not do any good for me to
project the date if you already know that you are not going to be able to
actually do the work on those days.

You mention being flexible with the date if something comes up. In
> which case, why even set a date at all? It feels a lot like releasing
> a release candidate that isn't really a candidate for release. ;)
> I would expect us to make a best-effort commitment. If you say it is going
to be on a specific date I would expect you to do it on that date unless
something comes up. Like I said, obviously if the software itself is not
ready we have to reset the date. Otherwise, I am just saying that if
something you do not foresee were to come up. Such as needing to do
something work/school related then I would understand if you have to notify
us of a change.

I want to know because there is a lot of stuff I have to do when a release
comes out and I have to coordinate the resources I need to do it all. Since
some of those resources are shared, it even impacts non-SVN related
projects. I also want to do a GA Subclipse release right around the GA
date. We have already done the 1.7 compat work, but knowing the date gives
an idea how much time we have to work on new features before we freeze for
the final release. I am sure I am not the only one in this boat. I assume
there are people at WanDisco that want to know when they will have to build
and QA binaries for the release.

Is there any reason we cannot simply be public about the forecasted date if
this RC holds up?

Mark Phippard
Received on 2011-08-31 18:44:58 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.