[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Evil UTF-8 Character in filename in repo causing issues on my wc

From: B Smith-Mannschott <bsmith.occs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 20:07:46 +0200

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:24, Geoff Hoffman <ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber_at_3s-software.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Geoff,
>>
>> Von: Geoff Hoffman [mailto:ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com]
>> >>> I have a file with some (I believe) Portuguese characters in the
>> >>> filename that someone managed to store in the repo without any
>> >>> problem,
>> >>> and I checked it out without issues, too. However, now on my working
>> >>> copy, it thinks that file is locally new.
>> >> Maybe it helps if you use a repo browser to rename the file to an
>> >> ASCII-Only name directly in the repository?
>>
>> > That's all I ever really wanted to do, but I cannot, at least, I don't
>> > know how to type the characters in the
>> > filename of the file in svn without copy-paste from the svn ls terminal
>> > output on Mac OS X, which I think has
>> > already converted the filename it just printed, so I get a file not
>> > found error when I try to rename or delete
>> > it. It may have worked if I had ssh'd into the RHEL server, not sure.
>> > It's a bit unclear.
>>
>> I thought of some graphical repository browser (like the one built into
>> TortoiseSVN for example, I guess such things also exist for MacOS), it lets
>> you browse the repository and select the file to rename directly in the
>> repository, without the need of a local checkout / working copy.
>>
>
>
> Yeah, if I had more time I probably should fiddle with it. Our one guy here
> on Windows using Tortoise has no issues with the same file, so it is indeed
> a problem specific to Mac, as Stefan pointed out. Given that the issue
> presents itself in Terminal and NetBeans IDE, it's safe to say any other
> graphical SVN client on Mac would complain, too, but I didn't test it. IIRC
> the graphical clients are using the command line under the hood.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:24, Geoff Hoffman <ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber_at_3s-software.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Geoff,
>>
>> Von: Geoff Hoffman [mailto:ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com]
>> >>> I have a file with some (I believe) Portuguese characters in the
>> >>> filename that someone managed to store in the repo without any
>> >>> problem,
>> >>> and I checked it out without issues, too. However, now on my working
>> >>> copy, it thinks that file is locally new.
>> >> Maybe it helps if you use a repo browser to rename the file to an
>> >> ASCII-Only name directly in the repository?
>>
>> > That's all I ever really wanted to do, but I cannot, at least, I don't
>> > know how to type the characters in the
>> > filename of the file in svn without copy-paste from the svn ls terminal
>> > output on Mac OS X, which I think has
>> > already converted the filename it just printed, so I get a file not
>> > found error when I try to rename or delete
>> > it. It may have worked if I had ssh'd into the RHEL server, not sure.
>> > It's a bit unclear.
>>
>> I thought of some graphical repository browser (like the one built into
>> TortoiseSVN for example, I guess such things also exist for MacOS), it lets
>> you browse the repository and select the file to rename directly in the
>> repository, without the need of a local checkout / working copy.
>>
>
>
> Yeah, if I had more time I probably should fiddle with it. Our one guy here
> on Windows using Tortoise has no issues with the same file, so it is indeed
> a problem specific to Mac, as Stefan pointed out. Given that the issue
> presents itself in Terminal and NetBeans IDE, it's safe to say any other
> graphical SVN client on Mac would complain, too, but I didn't test it. IIRC
> the graphical clients are using the command line under the hood.

Yes, any graphical client working on a *working copy* on the mac would
complain too. But, a hypothetical graphical repo browser that
operates directly on the repository isn't effected by HFS+'s unicode
normalization.

// ben
Received on 2011-06-16 20:08:18 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.