[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Evil UTF-8 Character in filename in repo causing issues on my wc

From: Geoff Hoffman <ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:09:04 -0700

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:07 AM, B Smith-Mannschott
<bsmith.occs_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:24, Geoff Hoffman <ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Markus Schaber <
> m.schaber_at_3s-software.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, Geoff,
> >>
> >> Von: Geoff Hoffman [mailto:ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com]
> >> >>> I have a file with some (I believe) Portuguese characters in the
> >> >>> filename that someone managed to store in the repo without any
> >> >>> problem,
> >> >>> and I checked it out without issues, too. However, now on my working
> >> >>> copy, it thinks that file is locally new.
> >> >> Maybe it helps if you use a repo browser to rename the file to an
> >> >> ASCII-Only name directly in the repository?
> >>
> >> > That's all I ever really wanted to do, but I cannot, at least, I don't
> >> > know how to type the characters in the
> >> > filename of the file in svn without copy-paste from the svn ls
> terminal
> >> > output on Mac OS X, which I think has
> >> > already converted the filename it just printed, so I get a file not
> >> > found error when I try to rename or delete
> >> > it. It may have worked if I had ssh'd into the RHEL server, not sure.
> >> > It's a bit unclear.
> >>
> >> I thought of some graphical repository browser (like the one built into
> >> TortoiseSVN for example, I guess such things also exist for MacOS), it
> lets
> >> you browse the repository and select the file to rename directly in the
> >> repository, without the need of a local checkout / working copy.
> >>
> >
> >
> > Yeah, if I had more time I probably should fiddle with it. Our one guy
> here
> > on Windows using Tortoise has no issues with the same file, so it is
> indeed
> > a problem specific to Mac, as Stefan pointed out. Given that the issue
> > presents itself in Terminal and NetBeans IDE, it's safe to say any other
> > graphical SVN client on Mac would complain, too, but I didn't test it.
> IIRC
> > the graphical clients are using the command line under the hood.
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 18:24, Geoff Hoffman <ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Markus Schaber <
> m.schaber_at_3s-software.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, Geoff,
> >>
> >> Von: Geoff Hoffman [mailto:ghoffman_at_cardinalpath.com]
> >> >>> I have a file with some (I believe) Portuguese characters in the
> >> >>> filename that someone managed to store in the repo without any
> >> >>> problem,
> >> >>> and I checked it out without issues, too. However, now on my working
> >> >>> copy, it thinks that file is locally new.
> >> >> Maybe it helps if you use a repo browser to rename the file to an
> >> >> ASCII-Only name directly in the repository?
> >>
> >> > That's all I ever really wanted to do, but I cannot, at least, I don't
> >> > know how to type the characters in the
> >> > filename of the file in svn without copy-paste from the svn ls
> terminal
> >> > output on Mac OS X, which I think has
> >> > already converted the filename it just printed, so I get a file not
> >> > found error when I try to rename or delete
> >> > it. It may have worked if I had ssh'd into the RHEL server, not sure.
> >> > It's a bit unclear.
> >>
> >> I thought of some graphical repository browser (like the one built into
> >> TortoiseSVN for example, I guess such things also exist for MacOS), it
> lets
> >> you browse the repository and select the file to rename directly in the
> >> repository, without the need of a local checkout / working copy.
> >>
> >
> >
> > Yeah, if I had more time I probably should fiddle with it. Our one guy
> here
> > on Windows using Tortoise has no issues with the same file, so it is
> indeed
> > a problem specific to Mac, as Stefan pointed out. Given that the issue
> > presents itself in Terminal and NetBeans IDE, it's safe to say any other
> > graphical SVN client on Mac would complain, too, but I didn't test it.
> IIRC
> > the graphical clients are using the command line under the hood.
>
> Yes, any graphical client working on a *working copy* on the mac would
> complain too. But, a hypothetical graphical repo browser that
> operates directly on the repository isn't effected by HFS+'s unicode
> normalization.
>
> // ben
>

Ben, you're right.

SVNx doesn't have a rename feature that I could find, but I tried in
Versions (demo - w00t) and it worked.

Transcript log for repository "client" [svn+ssh://geoff@mycompany
/svn/repos/sites/client/trunk].
Subversion libraries version: 1.6.17

[Jun 16, 12:05:48] Renaming
"/branches/other/external_docs/Manual_Integrac╠ža╠âo_A_T_2.0.pdf" to
"Manual_Integracao_A_T_2.0.pdf"...
Committed revision 696 by user "geoff".
[Jun 16, 12:06:01] Finished operation.
Received on 2011-06-16 21:09:39 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.