[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Problem with undefined symbol when running Subversion

From: Adam Stein <adam_at_scan.mc.xerox.com>
Date: 2005-05-18 20:22:30 CEST

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:21, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Adam Stein <adam@scan.mc.xerox.com> writes:
> > This is my first time with Subversion. I downloaded the source for
> > v1.1.4 and compiled on a Red Hat 9 system. When I installed, all the
> > programs in bin worked (as in I could run and get an error message that
> > I wasn't using any options yet) except for 'svn' and 'svnversion'. Both
> > of these programs gave me the error:
> >
> > svn: relocation error: /packages/subversion/lib/libsvn_client-1.so.0:
> > undefined symbol: svn_ra_dav_init
> >
> > ...
> Do you mean that you compiled and ran this on some other machine (that
> never had Subversion installed before), or does "this" refer to the
> recipe above, and you mean that you did all the above on a machine
> that never had Subversion installed before?
> This sort of problem can happen when different versions of the
> Subversion libraries are mixed. I suspect you did have an old
> Subversion installed before, perhaps it came from the operating
> system? Find all locations of things called "libsvn*" on your system,
> and send us an 'ls -l' of those things, maybe?
> -Karl

I originally saw a note regarding the mixture of old and new libraries
before I sent my note. Turns out the server I was compiling,
installing, and failing to run on had Subversion installed in /usr.
Thinking the old libraries might have screwed something up, I recompiled
from scratch on another machine that didn't have Subversion already on

Looks like the library path is compiled in so I don't have to add
anything to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I did modify path to find my newly
installed version first.

On both machines (the one that has an old version in /usr and the one
that only has my installed version), I get the same error about
svn_ra_dav_init. That's when I sent my message to the mailing list
since it wasn't an old library conflict problem.

The only thing that failed in the configuration was that the installed
version of swig was too old. I installed the latest version and tried
again. Didn't make a difference. I'm using Apache httpd v2.0.52 (I
don't think I configured it for DAV yet, but I figured I could do that
after I had the basic Subversion stuff working). All other dependencies
are what come with RH9 (which configure didn't seem to have a problem

I can try or report on anything else that will help debug this problem.

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: adam@scan.mc.xerox.com
Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed May 18 20:29:08 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.