On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Ben Reser <ben_at_reser.org> wrote:
> I'm still working on the CHANGES file for 1.9, it's taking longer than I
> anticipated since it's been roughly 9 months since we last did a major
> (and I forgot how long that one took me).
> The original thinking for a beta was to get something moving while we
> up a few things we knew we wanted in 1.9 (svn info --show-item, external
> pinning). But I'm starting to think these things are close enough that
> the time it's taking me to finish up CHANGES we may be ready for a rc1 as
> as those are done.
I think we should have a beta as soon as feasible instead of
waiting for a rc some time later and here is why:
* Keep momentum in the 1.9 release process.
* Enable / trigger people to get their 1.9.x build setup finalized
* Take off some of the pressure to complete & merge the
two candidate feature branches.
* Don't rush the "admin" work either, e.g. API review.
* Concerning the extra effort, we will release 1.7.x, 1.8.x and
1.9rc within a short window of time. Adding 1.9.0beta doesn't
seem to make it much worse.
Received on 2015-02-25 12:33:31 CET