[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Issue #2580 revisited: Windows unclean TCP close [SEVERE]

From: Bob Denny <rdenny_at_dc3.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 04:05:42 -0700

Hi Branko --

Thanks for the reply! I have been pushed away from a couple of open source
projects in the past, so I do appreciate you and Stefan listening :-)

> I think we need some hard data in order to make a reasonable decision
> here. Bob, since you see and presumably can reproduce this
> indiscriminate proliferation of daemons; could you possibly test your
> assumption that KILL_NEVER does the right thing on Windows? It would
> require modifying and recompiling Subversion.

I've already done this with svn 1.6.5 and Linux based svn servers, and I'm
running it here in production. Actually I checked out the TortoiseSVN tree which
contains svn 1.6.5 and built THAT, but it results in both Tortoise as well as
svn 1.6.5 *client side* and libraries. Both are working perfectly now. Before
the patch, every single set of sshd/svnserve daemons that Tortoise created was
left running on the remote Linux machine. After a couple of moves around in the
Repo Browser, and a log or two, there's be 10 or more of those things that had
to be killed. Now, no problem.

I did check out the Subversion trunk from Tigris and start on building it. But
by then I had already invested over three days in this, and for Subversion
itself I needed even more tools and bits from elsewhere (though I found the
tarball of externals you guys provide), and I had real work piling up. I do
astronomical observatory control software, I'm just one guy trying to eek out a
living at this (for 10 years), and being near the new moon, my paying work is
calling me :-) That's why I am up at 0330! Anyway, I ran into several roadblocks
and gave up on making Subversion from the trunk for lack of time and exhaustion
at wrestling with maketools.

I am NOT complaining! I think you guys are amazing. I just had to get back to work.

Anyway... I analyzed the problem, found it's physical cause, located the source
of the cause, made a change that _should_ have worked, tested that, found it
works, and therefore I had a high degree of confidence in what I originally
wrote, before I wrote it. And I started from ground zero, complete lack of
knowledge of the structure and sources. Tnat's why it took me several days.

If I need to make Subversion so I can test against a WINDOWS ssh/svnserve I
will, but it will be some time as I am nearing the most important astronomy
conference of the year for me. It will be several weeks before I can try to make
a Windows svnserve. But someone out there must have already have a Windows build
environment and could quickly make the patch and test.

Anyway, thanks again...

  -- Bob

Received on 2009-10-29 15:44:10 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.