[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Branching 1.6 on Nov. 5

From: Hyrum K. Wright <hyrum_wright_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:54:16 -0500

Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Hyrum K. Wright" <hyrum_wright_at_mail.utexas.edu> writes:
>> As has been discussed on IRC, dev@, and at the summit last week, we're
>> shooting for a 1.6.0 release toward the end of December, approximately
>> 6 months after 1.5.0. Given that goal, and our typical release cycle,
>> that would mean branching near the end of October/beginning of
>> November. So I'm pegging the branch date at Nov. 5, 1700 UTC.
>>
>> I'll follow this up with my standard disclaimer: this date isn't set
>> in stone (more like quick drying concrete). If there are serious and
>> valid concerns, we can push the date back a week or so, but I'm
>> hesitant to go any farther than that.
>>
>> In the meantime, please try and be a little conservative about what
>> makes it into trunk, so that it's pretty stable when we branch.
>
> The only flag I'd raise is that I'd like to get Guo Rui's
> sparse-directories deselection changes merged:
>
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/issue-2843-dev
>
> I've started bringing the branch up-to-date in r33560 and r33561, but
> haven't finished yet. I won't be able to resume work on that until
> Nov. 1st. While I think I will be able to get it all merged by the 6th,
> it may be somewhat destabilizing.
>
> My proposal is that we just play it by ear. I'll complete the merge (on
> the branch), play around with it, post results, and then we decide if we
> want it in 1.6 or 1.7. As long as it either gets into 1.6, or gets into
> trunk immediately following 1.6 (so it's in 1.7), that'd be fine, though
> of course 1.6 would be my preference.

I've been hearing from a couple of sources that Nov. 5 may be a bit premature.
To help us gage what is left to be done before we branch, r33897 created the
TODO-1.6 file in the trunk. Please add whatever tasks you have to this file, so
we can better determine if Nov. 5 is appropriate to branch.

I'm still open to pushing the branch back a week or so, but I think anything
beyond that would impair our ability to publish a quality release before the end
of December.

-Hyrum

Received on 2008-10-27 15:54:33 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.