[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Bug in dump/restore...

From: Michael Sinz <Michael.Sinz_at_sinz.org>
Date: 2007-02-06 16:31:55 CET

On 2/6/07, Michael Sinz <Michael.Sinz@sinz.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/6/07, Michael Sinz <Michael.Sinz@sinz.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/6/07, Ben Collins-Sussman < sussman@red-bean.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On 2/5/07, Michael Sinz <Michael.Sinz@sinz.org> wrote:
> >
> >
> [...]
>
> You must have done this a long, long, time ago. We stopped allowing
> > > control-characters to enter the repository (either in filenames or log
> > > messages) in some pre-1.0 release.
> > >
> >
> > Looking at the date in the repository, it looks like this happened in
> > the 1.2 timeframe (that server never ran less than SVN 1.1 since it is
> > all FSFS and the April 25, 2005 date shows that it may have been running the
> > 1.2 RC1 - don't know for sure)
> >
> > However, testing this now with SVN 1.4 trying to create a new repository
> > and adding that file, it seems to not to add this to the repository.
> >
> > So, now I need to filter this out of the test repository as it is no
> > longer a valid test case (and can not be added to the repository)
> >
> > I will see if I have time today to build a 1.1 SVN client and try it
> > again.
>
>
> I did build the client that my logs show I was using during this testing.
> It was the 1.1.4 release of Subversion. It did allow me to add the file
> with the "del" character (0x7f) but when I try to commit that to the server
> running 1.4.3, it does not allow it.
>
> Committing it to a local FSFS repository using Subversion 1.1.4 did work.
> (I have not tried BDB as my build environment is not set up for doing that
> test right now)
>
> So, this "bug" is not a bug in current ( 1.4.3) release and the server
> does prevent the entry of this data. However it does look like Subversion
> 1.1.4 (and most likely all 1.1.x releases) do/did allow this.
>

And a quick check of the 1.2.0 release shows that it correctly rejects the
"del" character. That means the change happened as part of the 1.2 update.

Note, I don't need this to work, I just was trying to figure out my test
cases and why I could not load a dump from the test repository. Now I
know. (And it is interesting that I did not notice this until this past
weekend... I guess I had not had to do much with my test cases in quite
some time)

-- 
Michael Sinz               Technology and Engineering Director/Consultant
"Starting Startups"                          mailto:Michael.Sinz@sinz.org
My place on the web                      http://www.sinz.org/Michael.Sinz
Received on Tue Feb 6 16:32:13 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.