[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Building Subversion 1.2 on OS X 10.4 fails

From: Craig McElroy <craig.mcelroy_at_metissian.com>
Date: 2005-05-23 21:20:48 CEST

Ben,

Have you been building with gcc 3.3, or 4.0? One of the first things
I did after installing 10.4 was switch over to 3.3 using gcc_select,
as I had heard of plenty of people having problems with building (not
just subversion) using the gcc 4.0 that ships with 10.4. I have not
noticed any problems so far with the builds of 1.2 RCs (building
1.2.0 as I type this) that I have done using gcc 3.3.

My one attempt at building 1.2.0 RC4 with gcc 4.0 (out of sheer
curiosity) seemed to build successfully but running make check
generated a LOT of failures.

Cheers,
-craig

Craig McElroy
Metissian LLC

On May 18, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to dev@, because two people on users@ are
> having problems building subversion on OSX 10.4, and yet I can
> build on OSX 10.4 without a problem.
>
> Any build experts have ideas here?
>
>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>
>> From: Scott Palmer <scott.palmer@2connected.org>
>> Date: May 18, 2005 9:12:08 AM CDT
>> To: Subversion users group <users@subversion.tigris.org>
>> Cc: "K. Richard Pixley" <rich@noir.com>, Ben Collins-Sussman
>> <sussman@collab.net>
>> Subject: Re: OT: useless rant, Was: Building Subversion 1.2 on OS
>> X 10.4 fails
>>
>>
>>
>> On May 17, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> So, let's work to figure out what's so special about your &
>>> Scott's systems, and fix the problem.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> Well I have a standard install of 10.4.1. I upgraded to 10.4 from
>> 10.3.9. I installed the new dev tools that came with 10.4. I
>> installed the 10.4.1 update. I try yo keep the tools up to date,
>> but I haven't done anything to alter the standard configuration
>> that I can think of. As I stated before, I don't have BDB or
>> Apache 2 installed and I don't need it.
>>
>> This is what I tried. Note that there are some warnings in the
>> configure process, I'm not sure how serious they are.
>>
>> $ svn info
>> Path: .
>> URL: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.2.x
>> Repository UUID: 65390229-12b7-0310-b90b-f21a5aa7ec8e
>> Revision: 14770
>> Node Kind: directory
>> Schedule: normal
>> Last Changed Author: djh
>> Last Changed Rev: 14760
>> Last Changed Date: 2005-05-16 19:44:46 -0400 (Mon, 16 May 2005)
>> Properties Last Updated: 2005-03-22 13:01:35 -0500 (Tue, 22 Mar 2005)
>>
>> $ ./autogen.sh
>> buildcheck: checking installation...
>> buildcheck: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
>> buildcheck: autoheader version 2.59 (ok)
>> buildcheck: libtool version 1.5 (ok)
>> buildcheck: local copy of PrintPath does not match APR's copy.
>> An updated copy of PrintPath may need to be checked in.
>> Copying libtool helper: /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
>> Creating build-outputs.mk...
>> Creating svn_private_config.h.in...
>> Creating configure...
>> Creating configuration files for apr.
>> buildconf: checking installation...
>> buildconf: python version 2.3.5 (ok)
>> buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
>> buildconf: libtool version 1.5 (ok)
>> Copying libtool helper files ...
>> buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
>> Creating include/arch/unix/apr_private.h.in ...
>> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
>> `config.h.bot'
>> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
>> `config.h.in'
>> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
>> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a
>> template without
>> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
>> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be
>> produced, see the
>> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.
>> Creating configure ...
>> Generating 'make' outputs ...
>> rebuilding rpm spec file
>> Creating configuration files for apr-util.
>>
>> Looking for apr source in ../apr
>> Creating include/private/apu_config.h ...
>> Creating configure ...
>> Generating 'make' outputs ...
>> Invoking xml/expat/buildconf.sh ...
>> Copying libtool helper files ...
>> Incorporating /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 into aclocal.m4 ...
>> Creating config.h.in ...
>> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
>> `config.h.bot'
>> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
>> `config.h.in'
>> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
>> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a
>> template without
>> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
>> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>> autoheader:
>> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be
>> produced, see the
>> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.
>> Creating configure ...
>> rebuilding rpm spec file
>>
>> You can run ./configure now.
>>
>> Running autogen.sh implies you are a maintainer. You may prefer
>> to run configure in one of the following ways:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
>> ./configure --disable-shared
>> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared
>>
>> Note: If you wish to run a Subversion HTTP server, you will need
>> Apache 2.0. See the INSTALL file for details.
>>
>> $ ./configure
>> ...
>> ...
>>
>> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>>
>>
>> You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.1.25 or newer
>> installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
>> will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
>> use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
>> Berkeley DB here:
>> http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
>>
>> [that's okay with me]
>>
>> $ make clean
>> rm [lots of stuff]
>> ...
>>
>> $ make
>> ...
>> ...
>> /bin/sh ../libtool --quiet --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -no-
>> cpp-precomp -I/usr/include -I/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
>> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -g -O2 -I.. -DNEON_ZLIB -c
>> ne_stubssl.c -o ne_stubssl.lo
>> /bin/sh ../libtool --quiet --mode=link gcc -flat_namespace -rpath /
>> usr/local/lib -version-info 24:7:0 -o libneon.la ne_request.lo
>> ne_session.lo ne_basic.lo ne_string.lo ne_uri.lo ne_dates.lo
>> ne_alloc.lo ne_md5.lo ne_utils.lo ne_socket.lo ne_auth.lo
>> ne_cookies.lo ne_redirect.lo ne_compress.lo ne_207.lo ne_xml.lo
>> ne_props.lo ne_locks.lo ne_acl.lo ne_stubssl.lo -lz -L/usr/lib -
>> Wl,-search_paths_first -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -
>> lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
>> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la
>>
>> Compilation complete. Run 'make install' (as root?) to install
>> neon.
>>
>> ------ completed all in neon
>>
>> [so far so good...]
>>
>> ...
>>
>> cd subversion/libsvn_subr && /bin/sh /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
>> svn_test/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc -g -
>> O2 -g -O2 -DNEON_ZLIB -L/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
>> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -rpath /usr/local/lib -o
>> libsvn_subr-1.la auth.lo cmdline.lo config.lo config_auth.lo
>> config_file.lo config_win.lo ctype.lo date.lo error.lo hash.lo
>> io.lo lock.lo md5.lo opt.lo path.lo pool.lo quoprint.lo sorts.lo
>> stream.lo subst.lo svn_base64.lo svn_string.lo target.lo time.lo
>> utf.lo utf_validate.lo validate.lo version.lo xml.lo /Users/
>> scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la /
>> Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/
>> libexpat.la -liconv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr/
>> libapr-1.la -lpthread
>> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
>>
>> [should I be concerned?]
>>
>> ...
>>
>> cd subversion/libsvn_ra_dav && /bin/sh /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
>> svn_test/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc -g -
>> O2 -g -O2 -DNEON_ZLIB -L/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
>> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -rpath /usr/local/lib -o
>> libsvn_ra_dav-1.la commit.lo fetch.lo file_revs.lo log.lo
>> merge.lo options.lo props.lo session.lo util.lo ../../subversion/
>> libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_subr/
>> libsvn_subr-1.la /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-
>> util/libaprutil-1.la /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/
>> apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la -liconv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
>> svn_test/subversion/apr/libapr-1.la -lpthread /Users/scottpalmer/
>> dev/svn_test/subversion/neon/src/libneon.la -L/usr/local/lib -lz -
>> L/usr/lib -Wl,-search_paths_first -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -
>> lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv
>> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
>> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
>> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_DeleteException
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_DeleteException in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_DeleteException in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction in
>> section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_ForcedUnwind
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_ForcedUnwind in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_ForcedUnwind in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetDataRelBase
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetDataRelBase in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetDataRelBase in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetGR
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetGR in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetGR in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetIP
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetIP in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetIP in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData in
>> section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetRegionStart
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetRegionStart in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetRegionStart in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetTextRelBase
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_GetTextRelBase in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_GetTextRelBase in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_RaiseException
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_RaiseException in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_RaiseException in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_Resume
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_Resume in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_Resume in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_SetGR
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_SetGR in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_SetGR in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_SetIP
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> __Unwind_SetIP in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of __Unwind_SetIP in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___frame_state_for
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
>> ___frame_state_for in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
>> private external definition of ___frame_state_for in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_Find_FDE
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of __Unwind_Find_FDE in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of __Unwind_Find_FDE in
>> section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___deregister_frame in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of ___deregister_frame
>> in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame_info
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___deregister_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___deregister_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame_info_bases
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___deregister_frame_info_bases in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___deregister_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of ___register_frame in
>> section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___register_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_bases
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___register_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_table
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame_info_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___register_frame_info_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_table_bases
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame_info_table_bases in section
>> (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___register_frame_info_table_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_table
>> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
>> definition of ___register_frame_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-
>> fde-darwin.o) private external definition of
>> ___register_frame_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
>> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
>> make: *** [subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/libsvn_ra_dav-1.la] Error 1
>>
>> [now I'm concerned]
>>
>> So "out of the box" on OS X 10.4 - it's hosed.
>>
>> Now I'm trying:
>>
>> $ CC=gcc-3.3 GXX=yes ./configure
>> ...
>> ==================================================================
>> WARNING: skipping the build of mod_dav_svn
>> --with-apxs or --with-apache must be used
>> ==================================================================
>> ...
>> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>>
>>
>> You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.1.25 or newer
>> installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
>> will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
>> use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
>> Berkeley DB here:
>> http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
>>
>> $ make clean
>>
>> $ make
>>
>> [worked - not sure why it didn't for Rich.]
>>
>> $ make check
>> ...
>> Running all tests in cat_tests.py...success
>> Running all tests in import_tests.py...success
>> At least one test was SKIPPED, checking /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
>> svn_test/subversion/tests.log
>> SKIP: revert_tests.py 2: reverting to corrupt text base should fail
>> SKIP: utf8_tests.py 1: conversion of paths and logs to/from utf8
>>
>>
>> Seems to have worked. So I guess it is just an incompatibility
>> with GCC 4.0?
>>
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Mon May 23 21:22:18 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.