[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Fwd: OT: useless rant, Was: Building Subversion 1.2 on OS X 10.4 fails

From: Ben Collins-Sussman <sussman_at_collab.net>
Date: 2005-05-18 16:18:21 CEST

I'm forwarding this to dev@, because two people on users@ are having
problems building subversion on OSX 10.4, and yet I can build on OSX
10.4 without a problem.

Any build experts have ideas here?

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Scott Palmer <scott.palmer@2connected.org>
> Date: May 18, 2005 9:12:08 AM CDT
> To: Subversion users group <users@subversion.tigris.org>
> Cc: "K. Richard Pixley" <rich@noir.com>, Ben Collins-Sussman
> <sussman@collab.net>
> Subject: Re: OT: useless rant, Was: Building Subversion 1.2 on OS
> X 10.4 fails
>
>
>
> On May 17, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
>
>> So, let's work to figure out what's so special about your &
>> Scott's systems, and fix the problem.
>>
>
>
> Well I have a standard install of 10.4.1. I upgraded to 10.4 from
> 10.3.9. I installed the new dev tools that came with 10.4. I
> installed the 10.4.1 update. I try yo keep the tools up to date,
> but I haven't done anything to alter the standard configuration
> that I can think of. As I stated before, I don't have BDB or
> Apache 2 installed and I don't need it.
>
> This is what I tried. Note that there are some warnings in the
> configure process, I'm not sure how serious they are.
>
> $ svn info
> Path: .
> URL: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/1.2.x
> Repository UUID: 65390229-12b7-0310-b90b-f21a5aa7ec8e
> Revision: 14770
> Node Kind: directory
> Schedule: normal
> Last Changed Author: djh
> Last Changed Rev: 14760
> Last Changed Date: 2005-05-16 19:44:46 -0400 (Mon, 16 May 2005)
> Properties Last Updated: 2005-03-22 13:01:35 -0500 (Tue, 22 Mar 2005)
>
> $ ./autogen.sh
> buildcheck: checking installation...
> buildcheck: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildcheck: autoheader version 2.59 (ok)
> buildcheck: libtool version 1.5 (ok)
> buildcheck: local copy of PrintPath does not match APR's copy.
> An updated copy of PrintPath may need to be checked in.
> Copying libtool helper: /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
> Creating build-outputs.mk...
> Creating svn_private_config.h.in...
> Creating configure...
> Creating configuration files for apr.
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: python version 2.3.5 (ok)
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.59 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 1.5 (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> buildconf: Using libtool.m4 at /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4.
> Creating include/arch/unix/apr_private.h.in ...
> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
> `config.h.bot'
> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
> `config.h.in'
> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a
> template without
> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be
> produced, see the
> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.
> Creating configure ...
> Generating 'make' outputs ...
> rebuilding rpm spec file
> Creating configuration files for apr-util.
>
> Looking for apr source in ../apr
> Creating include/private/apu_config.h ...
> Creating configure ...
> Generating 'make' outputs ...
> Invoking xml/expat/buildconf.sh ...
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> Incorporating /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 into aclocal.m4 ...
> Creating config.h.in ...
> autoheader: WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h',
> `config.h.bot'
> autoheader: WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for
> `config.h.in'
> autoheader: WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> autoheader: WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a
> template without
> autoheader: WARNING: `acconfig.h':
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: AC_DEFINE([NEED_FUNC_MAIN], 1,
> autoheader: [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
> autoheader:
> autoheader: WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be
> produced, see the
> autoheader: WARNING: documentation.
> Creating configure ...
> rebuilding rpm spec file
>
> You can run ./configure now.
>
> Running autogen.sh implies you are a maintainer. You may prefer
> to run configure in one of the following ways:
>
> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
> ./configure --disable-shared
> ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --disable-shared
>
> Note: If you wish to run a Subversion HTTP server, you will need
> Apache 2.0. See the INSTALL file for details.
>
> $ ./configure
> ...
> ...
>
> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>
>
> You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.1.25 or newer
> installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
> will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
> use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
> Berkeley DB here:
> http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
>
> [that's okay with me]
>
> $ make clean
> rm [lots of stuff]
> ...
>
> $ make
> ...
> ...
> /bin/sh ../libtool --quiet --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -no-
> cpp-precomp -I/usr/include -I/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -g -O2 -I.. -DNEON_ZLIB -c
> ne_stubssl.c -o ne_stubssl.lo
> /bin/sh ../libtool --quiet --mode=link gcc -flat_namespace -rpath /
> usr/local/lib -version-info 24:7:0 -o libneon.la ne_request.lo
> ne_session.lo ne_basic.lo ne_string.lo ne_uri.lo ne_dates.lo
> ne_alloc.lo ne_md5.lo ne_utils.lo ne_socket.lo ne_auth.lo
> ne_cookies.lo ne_redirect.lo ne_compress.lo ne_207.lo ne_xml.lo
> ne_props.lo ne_locks.lo ne_acl.lo ne_stubssl.lo -lz -L/usr/lib -
> Wl,-search_paths_first -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -
> lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la
>
> Compilation complete. Run 'make install' (as root?) to install neon.
>
> ------ completed all in neon
>
> [so far so good...]
>
> ...
>
> cd subversion/libsvn_subr && /bin/sh /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
> svn_test/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc -g -
> O2 -g -O2 -DNEON_ZLIB -L/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -rpath /usr/local/lib -o
> libsvn_subr-1.la auth.lo cmdline.lo config.lo config_auth.lo
> config_file.lo config_win.lo ctype.lo date.lo error.lo hash.lo
> io.lo lock.lo md5.lo opt.lo path.lo pool.lo quoprint.lo sorts.lo
> stream.lo subst.lo svn_base64.lo svn_string.lo target.lo time.lo
> utf.lo utf_validate.lo validate.lo version.lo xml.lo /Users/
> scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la /Users/
> scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/
> libexpat.la -liconv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr/
> libapr-1.la -lpthread
> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
>
> [should I be concerned?]
>
> ...
>
> cd subversion/libsvn_ra_dav && /bin/sh /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
> svn_test/subversion/libtool --tag=CC --silent --mode=link gcc -g -
> O2 -g -O2 -DNEON_ZLIB -L/Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/
> subversion/apr-util/xml/expat/lib -rpath /usr/local/lib -o
> libsvn_ra_dav-1.la commit.lo fetch.lo file_revs.lo log.lo merge.lo
> options.lo props.lo session.lo util.lo ../../subversion/
> libsvn_delta/libsvn_delta-1.la ../../subversion/libsvn_subr/
> libsvn_subr-1.la /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-
> util/libaprutil-1.la /Users/scottpalmer/dev/svn_test/subversion/apr-
> util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la -liconv /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
> svn_test/subversion/apr/libapr-1.la -lpthread /Users/scottpalmer/
> dev/svn_test/subversion/neon/src/libneon.la -L/usr/local/lib -lz -
> L/usr/lib -Wl,-search_paths_first -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -
> lkrb5support -lcom_err -lresolv
> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
> libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-
> darwin8/4.0.0/../../..//libiconv.la' seems to be moved
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_DeleteException
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_DeleteException in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_DeleteException in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_FindEnclosingFunction in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_ForcedUnwind
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_ForcedUnwind in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_ForcedUnwind in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetDataRelBase
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetDataRelBase in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetDataRelBase in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetGR
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetGR in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetGR in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetIP
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetIP in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetIP in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetRegionStart
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetRegionStart in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetRegionStart in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_GetTextRelBase
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_GetTextRelBase in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_GetTextRelBase in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_RaiseException
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_RaiseException in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_RaiseException in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_Resume
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_Resume in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_Resume in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_SetGR
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_SetGR in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_SetGR in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_SetIP
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> __Unwind_SetIP in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of __Unwind_SetIP in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___frame_state_for
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2.o) private external definition of
> ___frame_state_for in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2.o)
> private external definition of ___frame_state_for in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol __Unwind_Find_FDE
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of __Unwind_Find_FDE in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of __Unwind_Find_FDE in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___deregister_frame in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of ___deregister_frame in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame_info
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___deregister_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of ___deregister_frame_info
> in section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___deregister_frame_info_bases
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___deregister_frame_info_bases in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of
> ___deregister_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of ___register_frame in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame_info in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of ___register_frame_info in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_bases
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of
> ___register_frame_info_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_table
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame_info_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of
> ___register_frame_info_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_info_table_bases
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame_info_table_bases in section
> (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of
> ___register_frame_info_table_bases in section (__TEXT,__text)
> ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___register_frame_table
> /usr/lib/libgcc.a(unwind-dw2-fde-darwin.o) private external
> definition of ___register_frame_table in section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-
> darwin.o) private external definition of ___register_frame_table in
> section (__TEXT,__text)
> /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
> make: *** [subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/libsvn_ra_dav-1.la] Error 1
>
> [now I'm concerned]
>
> So "out of the box" on OS X 10.4 - it's hosed.
>
> Now I'm trying:
>
> $ CC=gcc-3.3 GXX=yes ./configure
> ...
> ==================================================================
> WARNING: skipping the build of mod_dav_svn
> --with-apxs or --with-apache must be used
> ==================================================================
> ...
> configure: WARNING: we have configured without BDB filesystem support
>
>
> You don't seem to have Berkeley DB version 4.1.25 or newer
> installed and linked to APR-UTIL. We have created Makefiles which
> will build without the Berkeley DB back-end; your repositories will
> use FSFS as the default back-end. You can find the latest version of
> Berkeley DB here:
> http://www.sleepycat.com/download/index.shtml
>
> $ make clean
>
> $ make
>
> [worked - not sure why it didn't for Rich.]
>
> $ make check
> ...
> Running all tests in cat_tests.py...success
> Running all tests in import_tests.py...success
> At least one test was SKIPPED, checking /Users/scottpalmer/dev/
> svn_test/subversion/tests.log
> SKIP: revert_tests.py 2: reverting to corrupt text base should fail
> SKIP: utf8_tests.py 1: conversion of paths and logs to/from utf8
>
>
> Seems to have worked. So I guess it is just an incompatibility with
> GCC 4.0?
>
>
> Scott
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed May 18 16:26:26 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.