[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: ghudson's 'svn st' problem he mentioned on IRC...

From: John Szakmeister <john_at_szakmeister.net>
Date: 2003-12-31 12:52:22 CET

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 14:24, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> [snip]
> > I realize this may be asking a lot, but it there a way I could get my
> > hands on a dump of the Subversion repository?  As long as the problem
> > remains, you could probably get by with dumping the last few
> > revisions.  I'd like to use it in my testing since it's the only
> > repository and associated WC that I know of that has this problem.
> > Perhaps at some point we made a fundamental assumption that was wrong,
> > and soemthing is assuming that the data is formatted one way, when in
> > reality it might be formatted another way.
> You got it, baby:
>    http://svn.collab.net/svn_r0-r8121.dump.gz

Well, I found something that I think is a little interesting. I went and
checked the dump file, and for the files that have different line endings in
their text-bases, the text-bases appeared to be exactly what is in the
repository (okay, so no surprise there). I went and looked at some other
files that had the CRLF line ending set, and they were being stored in the
repository from the beginning with CRLF, or they had their contents replaced
at some point that had changed the line endings.

I played a little more and found that now when we change the eol-style, the
contents in the repository changes (I've attached a dump of a repo created
using the latest version of the tools). So, somewhere along the way, this
didn't happen with the files in question and the text-base is expected to
have the correct line endings, but doesn't.

To be honest, the fact that the repository changes kind of frightened me, so I
tried a few things from the command line. I tried to get a file into an
inconsistent state by making it binary, attempting to set the eol-style, and
then making it text. I was very happy to find that I couldn't do it (the
tool would not let me add the eol-style property to the file).

So, in the end, I think you're right. :-) The COM bindings have been around
in their state for long enough that they just happened to remain unchanged
throughout all the line ending changes that were made to the tool. We should
probably touch the files and just commit them so the contents of the
repository get updated correctly, but I'll leave that task to someone else.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Dec 31 12:31:15 2003

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.