[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Username in Repository URL with Serf/ra_serf

From: Simon Wilson <sepwilson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:16:12 +0200

Subversion 1.8 throws up errors when I specify HTTP/HTTPS URLs that contain usernames to svn, i.e.

  svn --username user ls https://server.com/repos/project/

works fine but

  svn ls https://user@server.com/repos/project/

results in errors. The same URL worked fine with Neon in 1.7 and older. The exact errors depend on the server I am contacting and the protocol used (HTTP or HTTPS).

For example, with a repository hosted with Beanstalk (www.beanstalkapp.com)

  svn ls https://user@domain.svn.beanstalkapp.com/repos

I get the following errors:

  svn: E175002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://user@domain.svn.beanstalkapp.com/repos'
  svn: E175002: Unexpected HTTP status 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/repos'
  svn: E175002: Additional errors:
  svn: E175002: OPTIONS request on '/repos' failed: 500 Internal Server Error

Attempting a similar request with CloudForge:

  svn ls https://user@domain.svn.cloudforge.com/repos

I get the following errors:

  svn: E175002: Unexpected HTTP status 405 'Method Not Allowed' on '/repos'
  svn: E175002: Additional errors:
  svn: E175002: PROPFIND request on '/repos' failed: 405 Method Not Allowed

In both cases the request works as expected when the user is removed from the URL.

I have been able to successfully connect to an internal test server via HTTP with basic authentication but attempting the same request via HTTPS with client certificate-based authentication results in the following errors:

  svn: E175002: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://user@192.168.4.240/repos'
  svn: E175002: Unexpected HTTP status 400 'Bad Request' on '/repos'

These errors are output *after* the client certificate path and passphrase prompts.

The fact that 1.7/Neon supported such URLs indicates that this is a significant regression in 1.8. Can anyone throw any light on the cause of these errors? Is this a known issue with Serf/ra_serf?

Some additional info:

- This behavior is not specific to svn 1.8: 1.7.10 generates the same errors when ra_serf is enabled.
- This behavior is specific to Serf. I do not get the same errors with Neon/ra_neon in 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7.
- All tests were done on Mac OS X 10.8.
- 1.8 behavior was tested using a) 1.8.1 binaries we built from source and b) 1.8.1 binaries downloaded from WANdisco. I don't believe that this behavior is specific to our svn build.
- 1.7 behavior was tested using 1.7.10 binaries built and distributed by Apple with Xcode 5.
- I have tested a build of 1.8.1 with Serf 1.3.1 but experience the same errors.

Many thanks,
Simon
Received on 2013-09-09 16:20:45 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.