On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 10:00 +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> "Tony Butt" <Tony.Butt_at_cea.com.au> writes:
> > On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 13:50 +0200, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> >> Tony Butt wrote on Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 15:07:55 +1100:
> >> > I tried to edit the log message of a commit made with svn+ssh://, using
> >> > http:// access, and failed. Now the strange thing, after changing a
> >> > different commit message for a test (using http:// access only,
> >> > successsfully), drafting this email, and re-checking the revprops file
> >> > in question, it was now owned by www-data - the apache user.
> >> >
> >> We make rev files read only intentionally. I don't remember offhand
> >> how revprop files would be affected, but in any case those are never
> >> changed either --- we only ever rename(2) new versions on top of old
> >> ones.
> >> And, anyway, I really don't understand your bottom line. Are you saying
> >> the new behaviour is non backwards compatible? That it should be
> >> changed? Or just that it's surprising?
> > The new behaviour is slightly different, and slightly incompatible in
> > our corner case. It was more surprising than anything else, and I wanted
> > to check that I didn't need to tweak the repository config in some way
> > to allow for this - possibly some subtlety with umasks that I was not
> > aware of.
> The fact that the files are read-only should have no effect on
> Subversion operations. It should be possible to use svn+ssh and http
> access simulataneously provided the repository Unix permissions are
I have configured the repository permissions and wrapper script as
outlined in the aubversion 1.6 reference. I just checked, and that is
essentially unchanged in the current 17. manual.
I also rechecked my config -
* group set to svn throughout
* group write permissions set wherever there are owner write
* setgid bit set on the relevant directories to preserve group
I tried the command line propedit this morning to set the log message,
and found some more useful information returned.
The short story is that there is NOT a subversion problem, but rather 2
problems with some of my hooks.
The first problem is that the hooks log information to files in /tmp,
which did not have the correct group set. This was causing my initial
The second problem is that we run trac, and (as recommended by the trac
project) use post-commit hooks to log repository changes into the trac
timeline. This fails when svn+ssh:// is used, as the process owner does
not have permission to use trac-admin in that way.
Thanks for your responses, and my apologies for the noise!
Received on 2011-11-10 01:31:48 CET