[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Subversion repository config problem

From: Tony Butt <Tony.Butt_at_cea.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:07:55 +1100

Hi all,

We have recently upgraded our subversion servers from 1.6.17 to 1.7.1,
and as I usually do when making the 'semi-major' upgrade, dumped and
reloaded the repository.

Our environment is Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS server, apache 2.2, subversion
1.7.1 (was 1.6.17). Our clients are mixed windows and linux subversion

We run multiple access methods, usually http://, but sometimes
svn+ssh:// on the repository, so some effort is made to implement and
tune the 'multiple repository access method' as outlined in the manual.

To this end, the repository is owned by the web user, and the group is
'svn', which all users who should have svn+ssh access belong to.

In the process of doing that, I found one or two checkins failed, as
group write permission was required to the db directory. I added that,
and at the same time checked the trees under db/revs , and db/revprops.

Here I noticed 2 things:
1) the individual revs and revprops files are now read-only, previously
they were read/write for group and owner.
2) the svn+ssh committed files were owned by the committing user (myself
in the test case)

I tried to edit the log message of a commit made with svn+ssh://, using
http:// access, and failed. Now the strange thing, after changing a
different commit message for a test (using http:// access only,
successsfully), drafting this email, and re-checking the revprops file
in question, it was now owned by www-data - the apache user.

In short, this is unexpected behaviour for me, but not exactly broken.

Tony Butt
CEA Technologies
Received on 2011-11-08 05:09:03 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.