[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Encoding problem causes SVN to misbehave on OS X Leopard

From: Sergio Lopes <knitter.is_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:40:10 +0000

> That's this bug:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2464

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that report :)

> What happens when you try?

On the problematic file, svn complains that a file with the same name
already exists, any checkout or update stops and I get half the code.
After that, given that I have a incomplete working copy, I can't do
much with svn.

Also it seems I'm the only one having problems, the other programmers,
using TortoiseSVN on Windows, have no issues with updating, committing
or even checking the code.

> Have you run "svnadmin verify" on your repository? What does it say?
All versions are properly verified, no errors found. As I indicated
above, it breaks down to being only a problem with my machine, not the
repository, as I feared.

> Usually you would just set LANG to the correct value for your system. For
> example, on my Mac, I set LANG=en_US.UTF-8. I would think you would want
> that set for all programs; I don't see why it should be Subversion-specific.

I'm quite knew to this mac thing, and the all "if it ain't broken,
don't fix it" idea keeps popping to me :). Everything works correctly
in my system, or so it seems, even the terminal works fine in all
other usages, so I changed only that setting.

> Note that I'm on Tiger. On Leopard, I believe you can have the Terminal set
> LANG automatically for you. Look around in the preferences and window
> settings.

I can only find options to set the available encodings, and those are
UTF-8 and the ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-9, as far as I can see, I have
no option to tell the Terminal which is the default or used one.

Funny enough, I was using SmartSVN, and only after ditching it did I
found the encoding problem, SmartSVN never had any problems with the
files, and it doesn't even sees the dual status for the same file, if
only it was a decent client I would have been unaware of all this.

Thanks for the information, I'll probably create the pre-commit hook
nevertheless, and at least prevent future situations like this one,
and as soon as I have the time, I'll look into the patch, though I
don't really like to use such solution.


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-03-24 14:18:29 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.