[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Svnadmin dump/load on multiple processors

From: Remo Liechti <remo.liechti_at_swisslog.com>
Date: 2007-04-16 13:52:51 CEST

It's a very fast Raid 5, I don't think it's the disk because according
to performace tools its reading around 45% only. But there is just one
CPU used, you can see that because it is at 100%.

When loading a dump file into a clean repository one cannot run multiple
scripts, because data is references across the revisions. While dumping
I can do multiple scripts, I tried this with 8 scripts, so all 8 CPUs
were at 80%.

-----Original Message-----
From: marc gonzalez-carnicer [mailto:carnicer.lists@gmail.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 12. April 2007 12:57
To: Remo Liechti
Cc: users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject: Re: Svnadmin dump/load on multiple processors

As someone pointed out some days ago, bottlenecks on svn performance may
come from disk, not from cpu.

Since you say you have fileS, perhaps you could create a script that
performs these processes in parallel. Still, depending on your machine
hw architecture this may not help (8 cpus using same disk controller?).

As to your question : I don't know about the dump file format, but from
its output I see when dumping / loading I guess it is something
sequential. If my assertion is true, few things could be done in
parallel.

2007/4/12, Remo Liechti <remo.liechti@swisslog.com>:
> Hi guys
>
> We have a 8 processor machine for our subversion, which is running on
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server.
> When I do a dump or load using the svnadmin command, only one
processor is used. Why is the svnadmin tool not multi threaded? It takes
13 hours to restore our 35gb dump files. Is it possible to use all 8
processors for restoring?
>
> Thanks,
> Remo
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Remo Liechti
> Application Developer
> Swisslog Warehouse and Distribution Solutions
>
> Direct: +41 (0)62 837 4345
> Mobile: +41 (0)76 329 8660
> CH Fax: +41 (0)62 837 4197
> Internet: www.swisslog.com
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> About Swisslog
> Swisslog is a global provider of logistic solutions for warehouses,
distribution centers and hospitals.Swisslog's solutions increase their
customers' flexibility, responsiveness, and quality of service, while
minimizing logistics costs.
>
>
> This message may contain legally privileged or confidential
information and is therefore addressed to the named persons only. The
recipient should inform the sender and delete this message, if he/she is
not named as addressee.
> The sender disclaims any and all liability for the integrity and
punctuality of this message. The sender has activated an automatic virus
scanning, but does not guarantee the virus free transmission of this
message.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
>
>

This message may contain legally privileged or confidential information and is therefore addressed to the named persons only. The recipient should inform the sender and delete this message, if he/she is not named as addressee.
The sender disclaims any and all liability for the integrity and punctuality of this message. The sender has activated an automatic virus scanning, but does not guarantee the virus free transmission of this message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Mon Apr 16 13:53:12 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.