[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

MKCOL, 405 Method Not Allowed, MERGE request failed, Cannot modify transaction named

From: Markus Fischer <markus_at_fischer.name>
Date: 2006-03-31 16:01:12 CEST

Hash: SHA1


my repository suddenly started acting weird and given me error messages
I've never seen before, ending in the problem that I can't commit
anything anymore.

So, where to start? I'm using debian table (sarge) with subversion
version 1.1.4 (r13838) compiled May 13 2005 and bdb backend 4.2. I'm
accessing the repository with apache2/mod_dav_sn

When the problems started, I first looked into the db/ directory and saw
the the file 'strings' was already quite big: 2117779456 bytes which is
2.0GB. But that didn't surprised me really as I was monitoring the file
size regularly. I quickly made a test and created a /dev/zero file with
3GB to make sure it's not the filesystem.

Basically, the first time the error occured was through an automatic
cron-job running every night:

- -----------------8<------------------------
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: MERGE request failed on '/repos/web/project/trunk'
Cannot modify transaction named '1hv' in filesystem
- -----------------8<------------------------

But I didn't discovered that until I got some other strange errors
during normal working:

- -----------------8<------------------------
Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: MKCOL of
405 Method Not Allowed (http://domain)
- -----------------8<------------------------

and soon I also got this error which was the similar like the automatic
commit had:

- -----------------8<------------------------
Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: MERGE request failed on '/repos/web/project/trunk/http/application'
Error: Cannot modify transaction named '1id' in filesystem
- -----------------8<------------------------

I've searched with google for the errors and ultimately landed on some
archived subversion message [1] and the solution was to create a new
repository [2], but this is quite complicated as I don't have that much
disc space currently.

I've never seen the 405 error also and only found a thread from '04 [3]
about it, but unfortunately the things to try out are all ok. The
permissions are right and the module is properly loaded. I can checkout
without troubles, I just can't commit.

Currently I'm pretty lost. I did ran db_recover and svn recover, but
that didn't change anything. As soon as I'm going to commit something I
always get this 'Cannot modify transaction' error. I've made sure that
the file permissions are sane, and they are. They're all set to www-data
because apache2 has to have full access to it.

thanks for any pointers,
- - Markus

[1] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0786.shtml
[2] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0995.shtml
[3] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-06/0331.shtml
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.1 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org


To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Fri Mar 31 16:04:32 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.