[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: SVN status indicating a file is modified when it's not.

From: Bill Williams <billwilliams_at_qcsoftware.com>
Date: 2006-03-30 15:53:11 CEST

I have been doing some additional investigating. It now appears it must
be something to do with samba. I copied my workspace from the samba
share onto my windows computer's local disk and when I went to the same
directory that showed the makefile was modified on the samba share, it
shows everything is not modified on my computer's local disk. I checked
and the same situation exists on my local disk where the text-base file
is unix format and the normal file is dos format.

I even went back to the samba share and made the files have the same
format (tried both dos and unix) and svn status still says the makefile
was modified. What really makes this bizarre is this only occurs with
makefiles. My other source code status is reported properly. It also
only occurs if I had to update by workspace because someone else made a
change. If I make the change and commit it, the problem does not occur
even though the file formats are the same (text-base is unix and normal
file is dos format) as when I do the update.

Does anyone else use samba as a server to their windows computer and
have they seen anything remotely like this? Next I'm going to post a
message on the samba mail list to see what they say.

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2006, at 21:03, Bill Williams wrote:
>> We have a mixed environment. Our server is linux and our
>> workstations are windows accessing the linux server via samba. When
>> I first created the various workspaces, I checked everything out
>> under linux. All source code files and makefiles have the eol- style
>> set to native; therefore, all of files are in unix format with the
>> lines ended with a newline character.
>> Since the initial checkout, changes have been made to both source
>> code and makefiles. These changes are usually performed under
>> windows and committed to the repository via Tortoise.
>> I will then update my particular workspace using Tortoise and this
>> is where the problem now appears. Under linux, an "svn status"
>> command shows no modifications which is correct. But under Windows,
>> it will say the makefile has been modified. It does this with both
>> the "svn status" command and Tortoise. I looked at the files that
>> were changed and I have found the newly updated source files and
>> makefiles are now in a DOS format with CR/LF on the end of the
>> lines; however, the base files in the .svn/text-base directory are
>> all still in a unix format. What I find interesting here is the
>> source files do not show that they have been modified, only the
>> makefiles when this occurs.
> I think if you're going to have a working copy that's used both from
> Windows and from Unix then you shouldn't use svn:eol-style=native
> because it'll just confuse Subversion, as you're seeing. I'd set
> svn:eol-style to either DOS-style or Unix-style line endings,
> whatever you need, and then ensure that your editors on both Unix and
> Windows use this line ending style.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Thu Mar 30 15:55:11 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.