[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Subversion and Very,Very Large Repositories

From: Thompson, Graeme (AELE) <Graeme.Thompson_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: 2006-02-28 15:20:55 CET

Are you using the Berkley database (most probably as you say that is
only one file) for the repository or FSFS (which I believe uses multiple
files)?

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.architecture.html

On a slightly different issue:

Is there any logical way that you can split the images into categories
and then store these in multiple repositories.

This is not to do with limitations of subversion but to do with having
to find a single server hat can store that amount of data! If you split
it into multiple repositories you could be able to buy a new server and
migrate some of your repositories to the new server to spread the load.

--Graeme

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger Ashby [mailto:roger.ashby@gmail.com]
> Sent: 28 February 2006 14:04
> To: users@subversion.tigris.org
> Subject: Subversion and Very,Very Large Repositories
>
> I administer a repository of images (about 300,000
> tifs,pdfs,pngs,jpgs, and some zips with no single file larger than
> 700MB, however only 1/3 of those are more then a MB in size and of
> those that are they mostly range between 1-40MB) that currently totals
> about 700GB data. I've been tasked with coming up with a revision
> control/digital asset management solution on a very limited budget. I
> ultimately settled upon using svk (because of the lightweight checkout
> copy management) with a subversion repository in the background. I
> decided to incrementally capacity test the subversion repository a few
> Gigs at a time. I have however run into an issue, it seems that the
> repository is being saved in one big file, and I've reach the max file
> limit for my machine.
>
> My first question is, are there options for svk or subversion that
> dictate how the repository/depot stores it's files so I don't run into
> this file size issue.
>
> My second question is, does it make sense to have this much data (it
> could grow to several TB over the next 5 years) under revision control
> can subversion handle it or should I be using some other solutions.
>

******************************************
The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager. Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person. The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.
******************************************

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue Feb 28 16:02:08 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.