Overlay icons - strange behaviour on some Win7 x64
From: Sebastian Grottel <grottel_at_vis.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:27:43 +0200
I am using tortoise svn for quite some time now and I never had any (bigger) problems.
Recently I upgraded my two machines (business and private) to Windows 7 (both x64).
While my private machine just works fine (i.e. all overlay icons are showing like they should) on my business machine I get almost no overlay icons!
All Icons for ignored files are shown.
When I add files, they show the add icon.
When I commit my changes the add icon disappears but no other overlay icon is shown.
The “changed” overlay icon is shown for folders containing changed files, but only in the Treeview , not in the Listview of the explorer.
Files do never show the “changed” icon.
Some Folders (like 2% or something) show the “changed” icon, if they contain changes.
Many other folders containing changes, do not show the change icon.
And that’s about it. No other overlay icons are shown!
These are my overlay settings:
The installations on my two machines are almost identically (one exception is the anti-virus: Kaspersky at home and Sophos at work).
However, I used Sophos also on the previous Windows Vista x64 installation on my business machine and tortoise worked like a charm.
Both machines had their data (including the working copies) stored in a backup and copied back, after Windows 7 was installed.
I installed tortoise as the same user I am now trying to use it.
And it works (commit, checkout, etc.) but of the overlay icons.
I was using the default settings of tortoise.
After I noticed that the overlay icons did not work, I tried the following:
- Checked how many overlay handlers are installed (14 with tortoise, however, since the ignore icons are show this should not be a problem, or am I wrong?). In fact I also have 14 handlers on my private machine, where everything works fine.
- I rebuilt the icon cache as described in the FAQ.
- I switched to the “Shell” status cache.
- I switched to “none” status cache (now no overlay icons where shown at all!).
- I changed exclude paths to “C:\*” and “D:\*” and include paths to “C:\dev*” (the folder where all my working copies reside) and deactivated “Show excluded folders as normal”.
- I deleted some of my working copies and checked them out again.
- I deinstalled and reinstalled tortoise (After reinstall I get the same weird behavior again).
- And, of course I rebooted a lot!
And now, I am running out of ideas.
What could create this strange malfunction?
I am willing to believe that it is not a bug in tortoise but a problem with my system installation (after all, on my private machine everything is working fine), but I have absolutely no idea what that problem could be!
Since it is my business machine, I cannot just reinstall windows 7.
I really hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance!
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.