[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Strange new problem with tree conflicts

From: Jeff Simon <jas_at_rephunter.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:15:40 -0700 (PDT)

I have been simply copying at the OS level, which has seemed to work for a long time, as you say it should.

Then today I resolved those tree conflicts using the Check for Modifcations feature and simply marking everything as resolved. It should be noted that all files between the repo and working copies are identical, so the is no conflict in the text of the files.

In my original post, which did not make it into this thread, I gave a more pointed description of the problem. I will repeat that information here for completeness:

-----8<---- original post -----8< -----

For no apparent reason, I have tree conflicts in my project. I am
thinking this might be a bug in TSVN for the following reasons:

1. There is no reason that such a conflict should be reported.

2. All of the files in my working copy in all three branches and in
the repo are respectively identical on a per file basis.

3. My repo structure has three branches within it as follows
    - dev
        - current
        - stable
        - production

The tree conflict shows up for a couple of dozen file when I do a
commit on dev. However, when I do a commit on each of the three
branches separately, no tree conflict is shown.

4. When this first happened a week or so ago, I checked out a whole
new copy of dev. After than, no tree conflict was reported for a few
days. Then suddenly, it showed up again. Nearly all the the files with
the reported tree conflict have NOT [added to correct original post] been changed any time recently.

5. I have also tried cleanup on TVSN 1.6.3, just to see if it helped,
but it does not. So then I updated to 1.6.4.16974 and ran cleanup
again. This time, after cleanup, the bang icon on the folder went
away. But trying the commit on that folder still has the tree confilct
on the same set up files.

Accordingly I believe this reported tree conflict to not be a real
problem, but some artifact or bug.

Any one see this?

If it is not a bug in TSVN, then how do you fix it?

----- 8< ----- response from Stefan -----8< -----

> For no apparent reason, I have tree conflicts in my project. I am
> thinking this might be a bug in TSVN for the following reasons:
>
> 1. There is no reason that such a conflict should be reported.
>
> 2. All of the files in my working copy in all three branches and in
> the repo are respectively identical on a per file basis.
>
> 3. My repo structure has three branches within it as follows
> - dev
> - current
> - stable
> - production
>
> The tree conflict shows up for a couple of dozen file when I do a
> commit on dev. However, when I do a commit on each of the three
> branches separately, no tree conflict is shown.

What exactly is shown in the commit dialog? Maybe a screenshot would help.

> 4. When this first happened a week or so ago, I checked out a whole
> new copy of dev. After than, no tree conflict was reported for a few
> days. Then suddenly, it showed up again. Nearly all the the files with
> the reported tree conflict have been changed any time recently.

A tree conflict happens only during merges and (very rarely) during
updates. Not during commits.

> 5. I have also tried cleanup on TVSN 1.6.3, just to see if it helped,
> but it does not. So then I updated to 1.6.4.16974 and ran cleanup
> again. This time, after cleanup, the bang icon on the folder went
> away. But trying the commit on that folder still has the tree confilct
> on the same set up files.

Are you sure those are tree conflicts? Those can only be resolved, not
cleaned up.

Stefan

----- 8< ----- end of first two posts -----8< -----

The whole point is the part about having no conflicts reported in the branches, but only in the parent directory of the branches.

The attachment in the original post of this thread has the response to Stefan showing the commit dialog.

Even stranger, most of the affected files had not been changed in a very long time, even prior to the previous checkout.

Bottom line: I think I see how to work around the issue, as stated above. But I still think it is pretty strange, and none of the theorized causal sequences is what occurred.

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2393743

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-09-12 00:15:42 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.