[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: TortoiseSVN 1.5 freezes Windows Explorer

From: som <som_at_adv.magwien.gv.at>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:11:26 -0700 (PDT)

>
> You misunderstand the overlay settings. You only tell TSVN where it
> should show the overlays, not where your working copies are. That's not
> the same. Some people don't want the overlays shown on their working
> copies because the constant status fetching required for this slows down
> their machine too much. But they still want the context menu and the
> TSVN commands to work.

I understand how it is now, but I do not understand, that it has to be
so forever, if there is better way. If it makes sense, not to have
overlays on working copies because of performance problems, it also
makes sense not to have the context menu, which also does status
fetching, where it is not needed. And most people will know exactly,
where they need it (who would want to scatter his working copies
around in the file system and the network?). The "Show overlays and
context menu only in Explorer" check box shows, that it is possible to
do it.

>
> You make a wrong assumption here when you say "improve performance for
> many users". In fact, you're the very first one ever to report this.
> Which indicates that the chances that the problem is with your network
> setup are much higher than that the problem is with TSVN.
> After all: to fetch the status, all TSVN does is open a few files and
> read them - if your network can't handle *that* properly, I don't think
> you should blame TSVN.

The Network Monitor shows, that it is not just a few files in case of
Samba at least. Why produce traffic, that would not be necessary at
all?

>
> You can thank all the virus scanners out there for this. Subversion
> *has* to retry after "access denied" errors because those errors happen
> way too often due to those stupid applications: they open files
> immediately after they've been created in exclusive mode (to check them
> for viruses or whatever), which made Subversion fail constantly because
> it couldn't access its own files anymore. So now there's a retry-loop
> for all svn file accesses to work around those scanners.

OK, so if I right click any directory anywhere in my file system,
which does not have anything to do with subversion and which happens
many many times a day, because of Tortoise I get thousands of network
requests even on the shares, which do not freeze. This might be not a
big deal normally, but it does not make any sense at all.

Even if the freeze problem is caused by our Samba configuration (You
are right: there is a difference in access restrictions between the
shares, which was not a problem until version 1.5 of TSVN), it would
be an enhancement to Tortoise, if the user would be able to configure
the context menu as well as the overlay icons, like it is already done
in "Show overlays and context menu only in Explorer" (but maybe
independently). I would not expect that this will be done at once, but
I would appreciate very much, if it would be considered as an
enhancement for a future version.

Gerhard

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on 2008-07-21 17:43:48 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.