[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Strange merge behaviour with rc9

From: Kari Grano <kari.grano_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:58:59 +0300

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:12:22 +0100 Julian Foad wrote:
> Thanks for the report.
> It will help very much if you can show us a transcript, meaning copy and
> paste the actual commands and the output that Subversion prints.

Hi Julian,

Thanks for replying. I do have an actual case where the error manifests
itself. Unfortunately, the repository is not public, and I tried to
generalize the issue in my previous mail. Since then, I've managed to
narrow the problem down: it seems that Subversion has problems with repeated
merging of conflicting properties.

I've attached a script that reproduces the problem on Windows platform.
Notes: 1) you need to replace the repository creation command with 'svnadmin
create'; I don't have that tool installed since I'm using the Collabnet
client SVN distribution. 2) Save the script as .bat file instead of .txt.

When run, the script fails with

svn: In directory 'dir'
svn: Error processing command 'append'
svn: Missing 'dest' attribute in 'dir'

I'm using rc9, but I suspect the problem is also present in the 1.5.0
release.

HTH,
Kari.

> Hi Subversion devs,
>
> I've recently stumbled into a problem trying to perform a largish merge
> using TortoiseSVN 1.5.0-RC3 (see
> http://svn.haxx.se/tsvn/archive-2008-06/0192.shtml). The problem appeared
to
> be twofold: first of all, TSVN was merging very slowly compared to the SVN

> command-line client. This issue is being dealt with by Stefan Küng. The
> other problem is that SVN merge is acting in a way I don't understand.
>
> Specifically, it seems that the speed and outcome of
>
> svn merge --accept postpone -r A:B URL
>
> and
>
> svn merge --accept postpont -r A:A1 -r A2:A3 ... -r An:B URL
>
> differ quite a lot. In my testcase the range A:B is non-contiguous with
> about 60 subranges (A:A1, A2:A3, ..., An:B). The first command runs very
> fast (about 40 seconds) and correctly to the end. The second case runs
> slowly (about 5 minutes) and ends in an error.
>
> I can somewhat understand the speed problem, but shouldn't the outcomes of

> the two commands be the same? The subranges in question represent all the
> relevant revisions on 'URL', ie. there is no reverse cherry picking or
> anything like that going on (in fact, the ranges have been obtained by
using
> the TSVN log output for 'URL').
>
> The error I'm getting in the second case is
>
> Error: In directory 'd:\va88\uit\libs'
> Error: Error processing command 'append' in 'd:\va88\uit\libs'
> Error: Missing 'dest' attribute in 'd:\va88\uit\libs'
> Error: Error reading spooled REPORT request response
>
> This happens when about 27 submerges have been performed. I have no idea
> what 'append' or 'dest' mean here.
>
> I ran both tests using the 1.5.0-rc9 command line client for Windows. The
> server and repositories are using SVN 1.4.3 on Apache 2.0.59. Serf is not
> in use. The access protocol is http.
>
> Thanks,
> Kari.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Received on 2008-06-20 19:05:15 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.