[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

TSVN 1.5RC3 and svn:eol-style=native breaks 1.4 client merges

From: Norbert Unterberg <nunterberg_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:30:23 +0200

We are having trouble with SVN in out company.

After I installed TSVN 1.5-RC3 I did checkin some source files on our
project's trunk that had svn:eol-style set to "native". Everything
looks fine.
But some days later, a collegue was performing a merge with his TSVN
1.4.3 from trunk to a branch and go strange merge conflicts.

Some research revealed:
 * the conflicts were whole file conflicts
 * the conflict was due to different end-of-line style.
 * The comit I did with TSVN 1.5 rc3 seem to have injected all the
CRLF line endings into the repository.

Older SVN versions did store only LF line endings on the server and
changed them from CRLF to LF on a commit on windows if svn:eol-style
is set to native. The latest RC seems to leave out that step and
actually push all the CrLF into the repository.

An additional observation: the WC text-base still has only LF in the
files, on both the svn 1.4.3 and 1.5 working copies. After the failed
merge, the text-base does contain CRLF line endings. And a "show
differences as unified diff" from the 1.4.3 log viewer on the trunk
showed a diff file that containes the complete file contents. So I
assume that the probelm started with the commit.

I reported this on the SVN dev list, too. I do not know if this is a
problem of TSVN or SVN or something at my WC/network setup that might
trigger this.

Norbert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on 2008-06-17 21:31:00 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.