Problems with merging against 1.4.x repository
From: Kari Grano <Kari.Grano_at_varian.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:51:43 -0700
I finally got brave enough to try the 1.5.0 nightly on our production software. Some findings, and a showstopper:
- I tried the "Merge" command for merging changes from a branch to trunk (the first option)
- I selected the range to be merged with the Show log button as 10142-10428. This appeared in the wizard as
- Ok so far. Then I went on and started the merge
- Minor bug 1: The merge status window cut the revision range message (shown on the first line) as
- Finding: The "new" merge appears to be very slow. I would estimate it is 5-10 times slower than with 1.4.x client. Is there anything one can do about it? Or is it because our server is still 1.4.x?
- The merge was interrupted from time to time by the new interactive conflicts dialog. I was able to resolve conflicts with it rather nicely for the first few times.
- Minor bug 2: Sometimes the interactive conflicts dialog popped up behind all other windows, making it hard to realize there is a conflict. It would be nice if the conflict resolution window would be forced topmost.
- Major bug 3: The merge went thru until revision range 10414-10416, where it stopped with error "Malformed URL for repository". I attempted merging any of the "later" revisions individually, but they all resulted in the same error. Apparently SVN 1.5 thinks there is something wrong in the repository. Unfortunately I cannot publish the repo contents. However, I did run the exact same merge using TSVN 1.4.3 without any errors. The Apache error log contains the following entry:
[Thu Jun 12 18:34:23 2008] [error] [client x.x.x.x] The requested report is unknown. [501, #200007]
- Major bug 4: I reverted the working copy and retried the merge, now checking the "merge without asking" checkbox. In this case the merge was interrupted by TSVN crashing in the middle (around revision 10250 I recall). I've attached the produced crash dump.
- Minor bug 5: After reverting, I retried the merge in test mode with varying settings. I noticed that the "merge without asking" checkbox is present in test mode. IMO it does not make sense to resolve conflicts during dry run. Also, the "ignore ancestry" setting was not displayed correctly (was always "use ancestry") in test mode output.
- Major bug 6: During test mode, TSVN suddenly opened the "resolve conflicts" dialog. *At the same time*, it re-opened the final merge wizard page on top of it. Canceling both dialogs resulted in the following messages in the merge output:
Error: User cancelled
This was really strange. The "merge without asking" option was not checked during the merge, and there had already been several conflicts according to the merge status window.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 64-bit SVN command-line client just now, so I cannot replay this at the command prompt. But I suspect bug 3 might be in the SVN libraries.
Client: TSVN 18.104.22.16817 (Vista Ultimate SP1, x64)
This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.