[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: [Subclipse-users] Commit window

From: MATHUS Baptiste <mathus.b_at_mipih.fr>
Date: 2007-04-30 17:17:18 CEST

 

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : Mark Phippard [mailto:markphip@gmail.com]
> Envoyé : lundi 30 avril 2007 13:43
> À : users@subclipse.tigris.org
> Objet : Re: [Subclipse-users] Commit window
>
> On 4/30/07, MATHUS Baptiste <mathus.b@mipih.fr> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > When I commit, I often write a lot :-). The thing is I
> don't like to press enter when it's not semantically correct
> :). So I end up having very long lines and a big horizontal
> scrolling... It's not very readable.
> >
> > So, my question is: has it already been discussed that some
> automatic return to the line could be added? Obviously, I
> don't mean subclipse should add \n when reaching the max
> width, but put the suite of the sentence on the next line
> (quite classical behaviour).
> >
> > I seem to remember that for instance TortoiseSvn does this
> and shows a small "circular" arrow at the end on the "cut"
> line. I'm not sure the arrow is compulsory, but at least I
> think subclipse should offer this behaviour as an option.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think you should press enter and enter line breaks. Don't
> you have any processes that use svn:log? If you do not add
> hard returns on your messages you are forcing every piece of
> software you use to have logic to reformat the log messages.

Well. I prefer staying semantic in my logs. Then I'm able to wrap at 80, 100 or whatever character count. I only make newlines when I'm beginning a new paragraph.

I guess I will be able to write some (perl|python|ruby|groovy|whatever) one-line that'll handle a newline every n characters in less than 2 hours, even if I'm no expert in those languages :-).

>
> I use TortoiseSVN as well and I do not recall it having a
> feature like the one you describe. I think you might be
> thinking of the viewing of log messages and we have the same feature.

Well, I disagree. See screenshot.

"Example of a line without any newline done by an enter key press... You see that it's a lot more readable. And so no, TortoiseSvn is not behaving the same since it lets you write how you want. The "circular" arrow at the end of the precedent lines are in fact present. Everything I just wrote is visible. I agree I could add newlines where adviced, but I'm not forced to, though I can see everything I wrote."

>
> We do not do anything in the commit dialog to wrap your lines
> because it interferes with creating a properly formatted log
> message which is important to a lot of users. That is also
> why us and TortoiseSVN have a setting to add a hint line to

Argh. This hint is exactly what I'm talking about. Though I can't find it in subclipse?! Could you help me find it, stupid me?

> the dialog to give you an idea where you insert your breaks.
>
Thanks a lot

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subclipse.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subclipse.tigris.org

tortoiseSvn-commit.jpg
Received on Mon Apr 30 17:17:39 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subclipse Users mailing list.