Re: [PATCH] Split long strings into paragraphs to ease translation
From: Mattias Engdegård <mattiase_at_acm.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 17:25:56 +0100
9 mars 2018 kl. 15.37 skrev Julian Foad <julianfoad_at_apache.org>:
Done, and it seems to work well. Some observations:
* As expected, lots of work to split the translated messages, although having a mostly up-to-date translation helped a great deal.
* The split into separate messages was done at empty line boundaries throughout, but for very short paragraphs (1-2 lines), it would have been more helpful to bunch a few of them together in order to get better context.
* Conversely, some strings are still on the longish side. "svn propset" and "svn status" come to mind.
* I found a paragraph that I had previously forgot to translate! Buried deep in the svn merge help, of course.
* stats() in shelf-cmd.c isn't very translator-friendly:
info_str = apr_psprintf(scratch_pool,
which is hard to translate well in several languages. At the very least, sink the "ago" part into age_str ("%d hours ago" etc). Speaking of which, the generation of age_str would benefit from using gettext plurals. That's what it's there for!
This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.