Thanks Greg for the quick reply. See inline please.
> From: Greg Stein <gstein_at_gmail.com>
>To: Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian_at_yahoo.com>
>Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 10:54 AM
>Subject: Re: Compressed Pristines
>To answer: no; nonexistent; yes.
Where do I sign up! :-)
...but before I commit to working on this, I'd like to clarify a few things first.
* Are there any documentation/design/discussions on this feature that I could study?
* Who should coordinate and be contacted on decision points?
* I know this feature was planned for 1.8. Is that still reasonable? (I can't find a release date for 1.8) Will 1.8 wait for this or has this feature been demoted to a low-priority in general? The reason I ask is to have a vague idea as to how close this feature is on the critical path to future releases.
* Do we have a breakdown of this feature over a number of releases? For example the pristine copies may be packed together (as in Git) or stay as separate files (with a lot of slack space wasted for small files), yet compressing the individual files is still superior to the current state of affairs and packing is more complicated. We could implement compression for a first release, then add packing later. And even then, we could have an arbitrary complicated approach, such as delta-compression before entropy-compression, which in its turn could be shipped in a later release. These are questions that topic discussions should cover, which is why I asked for docs first.
* If work is restarted, do we have tentative volunteers? (I hate to commit to something I can't finish, and it's hard to bite at something too large).
Personally, I'd like to see this feature added. My experience gives me confidence that I can work on this. I'll be looking forward to getting some feedback and take it from there.
Thanks in advance,
>On Mar 10, 2012 11:59 PM, "Ashod Nakashian" <ashodnakashian_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I'm interested in the status of CompressedáPristines. Is someone working on it? Where are the latest patches (a branch?). Do we need another hand to work on this feature?
Received on 2012-03-11 10:11:33 CET