[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Subversion 1.7.0 GO / NO-GO

From: Hyrum K Wright <hyrum.wright_at_wandisco.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 23:07:16 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Paul Burba <ptburba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Hyrum K Wright
> <hyrum.wright_at_wandisco.com> wrote:
>> All,
>> I'm currently planning on rolling the final 1.7.0 release candidate
>> this Thursday evening (UTC +0100).  Assuming the tests pass and
>> signatures are valid, I'll cut the final release from the same magic
>> revision early next week, with the hope of releasing by weeks' end
>> (folks won't need to retest if they already tested rc4).
>> However, these dates are fluid, and depend on our feeling of
>> releasability as a community.  I'm uncomfortable making that decision
>> on my own; I know there may be outstanding issues, but don't know
>> their severity or impact.  I therefore request an up-or-down vote of
>> the above plan.
>> Please, no +/-0 votes on this one.  I'm asking you to take a stand,
>> either in favor or against proceeding with the release.  I *don't*
>> want a couple of +1s and a bunch of +/-0's; we need to be sure we have
>> broad community support behind this much-anticipated release.
>> In other words, if you've got an objection, please voice it *NOW*.
>> (Even if you don't have any objections, it's important to know that,
>> too.)
> I'll do worse than a +/-0, a conditional +1 :-\
> I'm +1 if r1173425 and r1173639 are backported, for the reasons
> described in http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=4013#desc3
> If these changes are *not* backported then I'm -1
> I won't argue with Ivan's suggestion in STATUS
> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/branches/1.7.x/STATUS?r1=1173538&r2=1173537&pathrev=1173538)
> that we extend the soak another two weeks, though I want to point out
> that we are returning to the same API's we used since 1.5, *not*
> adding anything new.

This seems to be the general feeling I'm getting from folks. Here's
my proposal:
Roll rc4 this weekend (or as soon as the backport is merged) and run
that on svn.apache.org to satisfy the concerns of those wanting more

When we are satisfied, I'll cut the final release from the same magic
revision as rc4, to simplify the signing procedure. This may be a
week or two after rc4 is released.

I realize there are other bugs in the software. There are *always*
other bugs in the software. The existence of low-impact bugs, known
or unknown, shouldn't preclude our continuing on the 1.7 release
cycle. We can still fix them in the future.


uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
Received on 2011-09-22 00:07:48 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.