[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Significant checkout performance degradation between 1.6.1 and 1.7b2

From: Ketting, Michael <michael.ketting_at_rubicon.eu>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:08:28 +0000

Hi Mark!
Yeah, I was just going to suggest the max path length issue but you beat me to it :)
The runtime really does baffle me, though. The 1.6.17 sounds about right. OK, a minute faster than mine, but...
I reran the test with a relative path for svn 1.7, just to make sure, but still takes as long as before, so I've got no idea what's causing it.
I think it's also of note that Philip got the same factor on his Linux setup, although the total was an order of magnitude smaller.
No idea what to make of that...
Regards, Michael
________________________________
From: Mark Phippard [markphip_at_gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 18:13
To: Ketting, Michael
Cc: dev_at_subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: Significant checkout performance degradation between 1.6.1 and 1.7b2

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com<mailto:markphip_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Ketting, Michael <michael.ketting_at_rubicon.eu<mailto:michael.ketting_at_rubicon.eu>> wrote:

Our repository is open source, so, in case you believe it helps with benchmarking/finding the bottleneck, you're welcome to exporting the trunk (https://svn.re-motion.org/svn/Remotion/trunk/) and creating a new benchmark repository. Am I correct in my assumption that building a new repository based only on the latest revision of the trunk would result in similar performance figures given it appears to be a client related issue?

I am doing some testing with your repository. I get similar times as you do when using your repository from a Windows client.

However, every time I checkout your repository using 1.6.17 it runs for about 5 minutes but always ends in failure:

svn: Your .svn/tmp directory may be missing or corrupt; run 'svn cleanup' and try again
svn: Can't open file 'test1\Remotion\Data\UnitTests\DomainObjects\Core\Mapping\TestDomain\Validation\Integration\NotSupportedRelations\BidirectionalRelation_RelatedObjectTypeDoesNotMatchOppositeProperty_BelowInheritanceRoot\.svn\tmp\text-base\InvalidRelationClass1.cs.svn-base': The system cannot find the path specified.

I thought this might be an A/V problem, so I moved to a Win2k8 server that does not have any A/V installed. I got the same problem which made me realize it was the problem with max path length that has been addressed in 1.7. I re-ran the checkout using an absolute path so that 1.6 would run to completion. I got some odd results in that it all ran really fast:

SVN 1.6.17 = 3:03
SVN 1.7-b3 = 2:40

So using 1.7 it was faster for me. I do not understand how these checkout times got so fast though. I checked the size of the working copy and they were each about 290MB, so I assume they are complete.

--
Thanks
Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/
Received on 2011-08-11 19:08:59 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.