[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create the 1.7.x branch. Like, now.

From: Greg Stein <gstein_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:50:37 -0400

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:32, C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato_at_collab.net> wrote:
> realize that we'd like to see the tracker sit quiet (blocker-wise) for a
> week or so before saying "ship the RC", but I think we need to face some
> realities:
>  - blocker-class bugs can -- and will -- crop up after we branch.
>  - blocker-class bugs can -- and will -- crop up after we release,
>    for that matter!

Right. It's a race condition, so may as well branch now. That blocker
can arrive now, one millisecond before branching, or one millisecond

> What to do about Serf?  I'd like to think that Greg could wrap up his work
> on the single remaining blocking issue in the next week or so.  I've already
> heard (via Hyrum) that he's essentially finished with the work, and just
> testing his changes at this point.

Correct. I have started outlining the test plan, but wanna get it into
notes/ and flesh it out more. Then figure out how to get the
conditions set up.

There is a single #ifdef block that alters the logic, so we're talking
a small commit/merge to get the new behavior. It is core to
checkout/update/switch, which is why I've been a little careful (at
this late stage).

>   I do not know, though, what the status
> of the Serf 1.0 release is, which I *thought* was also a pre-requisite for
> making available many of the recent blocker-related fixes.  (Greg?)

Yes. I'll do this today. We have no pending changes that I'm aware of,
and consumers like svn are already adapted to the 1.0 label.

> So, to clarify, I'm proposing the following:
>  * Branch 1.7.x now.
>  * Release beta-1 immediately after branching.
>  * Make a go/no-go call on Serf 7 days from now.
>  * Release rc-1 after making (and acting on, if necessary) the Serf
>    go/no-go call.
> What say we?

+1. Thanks!

Received on 2011-07-12 18:51:10 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.