[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: 1.7.0 blocking issues / branching

From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:46:26 -0400

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Hyrum K Wright <hyrum_at_hyrumwright.org> wrote:
>> ps. and if you *don't* think it is good enough for 1.7.0, then it sure
>> isn't an RC1. if we roll RC*, then we can't say "oh, but it isn't
>> final. we'll have bugs to fix." that isn't an RC. seen too much of
>> that nonsense in the past...
> Completely agree.  A release candidate is a *candidate* for release,
> and if we wouldn't be willing to release it as the final, it's got no
> business being an RC.

Completely agree.

> After we branch, we can take the temperature of
> the community, and determine which of a beta or rc is warranted.  (I
> suspect it will be a beta.)

I want to reiterate my objections to further delaying our release
process with these interim releases.


If we want to have beta programs great. Then we should step up and
advertise them and actively solicit the feedback we want to receive.
Set up polls/surveys whatever, so we know what people tested. I do
not think we get any value from tossing an alpha/beta over the wall
and then sitting around for a couple weeks and repeating the same

1.7 does not introduce a lot of new user facing features so our
existing test framework probably provides us with more value than it
does when we introduce major new features and might not have all the
tests in place that we need. I am sure the final release, whenever it
happens, will include a few items we wish we will have caught, but
that does not mean we should not release. We need people to step
forward and say "this is good, let's release" or at least say why we
are not ready.

We have aggressively asked for blockers to get put in the tracker.
People responded and the blockers are getting closed. I am totally
fine with putting out another call for blockers, but if no one comes
up with any, I do not think the answer is to issue a beta. We should
issue a release candidate.

I do not think anyone would disagree that if we wait another 2-3
months then even more bugs would be found and fixed. That does not
mean that is the right product release strategy as that logic never
ends. There are always going to be more bugs, and as people get
impatient and start dumping more new features into the release we
might even be creating more new bugs in the process.

I think the release is looking good. When the known blockers are
resolved, I think we are ready to release.

Mark Phippard
Received on 2011-06-15 22:46:58 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.