On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM, D.J. Heap <djheap_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Robert Dailey<rcdailey_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I have attached a patch which will add a new command line parameter to
>> > gen-make.py called "--apr-static" that forces subversion to link against
>> > APR static libraries by defining 3 new preprocessor directives:
>> > APR_DECLARE_STATIC
>> > APU_DECLARE_STATIC
>> > API_DECLARE_STATIC
>> > Please review the patch and let me know if you plan to patch it to svn
>> > trunk.
>> I couldn't get this to work for me -- the Subversion commandline
>> projects (like svn.exe) failed to link because they were still setup
>> to link with the dynamic apr libraries (libapr-1.lib) rather than the
>> static apr libraries (apr-1.lib).
>> Note that I think they were using the correct header definitions due
>> to the directives above, but their linker input settings didn't get
>> changed to use the static libraries instead of the dynamic ones (and I
>> didn't see anything in the patch to do that?).
>> Were you able to get the svn.exe to build and link ok with this patch?
>> The server modules failed as well -- they probably should not be
>> statically linked in any case since they are loaded into Apache.
> Sorry I only tested this on the SVN libraries. I did not test any
> executables. I can't get the executables to build in the first place (before
> the changes I made).
I'm re-submitting the patch (attached). It contains fixes to make sure the
executable projects link to the correct library names. For static builds of
APR and APR-UTIL, it will find the libraries without the 'lib' prefix (e.g.
apr-1.lib). And for dynamic builds of APR and APR-UTIL it will look for the
versions with 'lib' as a prefix (e.g. libapr-1.lib).
Let me know if this is an improvement! Keep the code reviews coming!
Received on 2009-09-05 20:56:12 CEST