[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Subversion 1.5 Release decision?

From: Hyrum K. Wright <hyrum_wright_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:58:45 -0700

> -------Original Message-------
> From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Subversion 1.5 Release decision?
> Sent: 22 May '08 16:17
>
> In the spirit of Karl's other thread, can we try to reach some
> consensus on what to release?  It feels like everytime we seem to be
> reaching a consensus something drives the discussion elsewhere.  I am
> as guilty as anyone.
>
> In my opinion, the latest consensus seems to be that we should release
> what is currently on the 1.5.x branch minus some revisions that we do
> not want to include in 1.5.0.  I currently count 5 revisions that have
> been proposed to not include in 1.5.0.  Perhaps we should agree that
> this is the general approach we want to take before we haggle over
> which revisions to exclude.
>
> I think Karl has semi-proposed an alternate approach in that other
> thread.  That is start with the RC5 branch code and then decide what
> if any additional revisions we want to add to it.
>
> I was originally (earlier today) leaning towards Karl's proposal, but
> after listing out the fixes that have been backported, the shear
> quantity of trivial doc changes, translation updates, and minor fixes
> makes me thing we ought to go with the former approach and just decide
> what we want to take out.
>
> I propose we agree on one of these two approaches and then work out
> the details in a new thread.
>
> Something that goes along with this is "When to release".  I think
> these two approaches put us on a path of doing an RC6 sometime in the
> next few days and then final release roughly one week later.  I think
> this is a fairly important point we also need to reach consensus on
> because it gives us something to use when deciding which revisions to
> include/exclude.

I'm in favor the "subtractive" approach, with an RC over this weekend, and 1.5.0 7-10 days after that. I think that is a reasonable point on the delay-vs-bugfixes curve. In other words, unless people complain loudly, that's what is going to happen. :) I'll let the community figure out what to subtract, but I think we're almost there already.

Let's try to have all relevant decisions made by Saturday, 10 am PDT.

-Hyrum

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_subversion.tigris.org
Received on 2008-05-23 01:59:02 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.