[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Beta or RC by Wednesday evening

From: Hyrum K. Wright <hyrum_wright_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:23:54 -0700

Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Mark Phippard" <markphip_at_gmail.com> writes:
>> My only objection to a Beta is if it is going to lead to some
>> conversation a week from now that says we cannot do an RC because we
>> just issued a Beta and we need to give it some time, and not create
>> tester fatigue etc. If that is the case, then let's just do what
>> needs to be done for RC. I do not want to wait another 3+ weeks for
>> an RC when I think we are essentially ready now, or could be shortly.
>
> I think we should release RC as soon as the docs are ready and the XFail
> sweep is done...
>
>> This always gets discounted, not sure why, but if we issue a beta it
>> also means we are going to be eating up our own resources putting it
>> out there instead of finalizing on the RC. We have the time it takes
>> to gather signatures and the process of updating tigris with all of
>> the release information. These things add up.
>
> ... whether we should issue a Beta in the meantime is a resource
> question, in some ways. I think it would be worth it, as it will get
> more attention than alphas do. But I don't think it needs to affect
> when the RC goes it.

Okay. Given all the back-and-forth on this topic, I get the feeling
that we aren't quite ready for an RC, but that another pre-release would
be useful at this point. I'm currently planning to roll a beta this
evening, barring any compelling reason not to.

-Hyrum

Received on 2008-03-12 22:24:07 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.