[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [PATCH] Issue #3108: "svn changelist clname" does nothin

From: David Glasser <glasser_at_davidglasser.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:34:14 -0800

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s_at_daniel.shahaf.co.il> wrote:
> David Glasser wrote on Tue, 26 Feb 2008 at 13:10 -0800:
>
> > 2008/2/23 Daniel Shahaf <d.s_at_daniel.shahaf.co.il>:
> >> [[[
> >> Fix issue #3108: "svn changelist clname" does nothing.
> >>
> >> * subversion/svn/changelist-cmd.c
> >> (svn_cl__changelist):
> >> Require --changelist or an explicit path argument.
> >>
> >> * subversion/tests/cmdline/changelist_tests.py
> >> (changelist_without_arguments): New test.
> >> (test_list): Run it.
> >> ]]]
> >>
> >> The new test doesn't intend to check that changelist renaming ('svn cl
> >> foo --cl bar') works correctly---only that it is syntactically allowed.
> >
> > Um, and when you say "the new test doesn't intend to check", you also
> > mean "with this patch, svn cl foo --cl bar still does nothing", right?
> > (Because that's what I'm seeing, and it's kind of unfortunately.)
> >
>
> Yes, it still does nothing and still exits successfully, except that it
> requires an explicit path argument: 'svn cl foo --cl bar -R .' now,
> instead of 'svn cl foo --cl bar -R' before. The .-less invocation would
> not throw an error with the patch; it would do nothing silently.
>
>
> > Hmm. I kind of feel like "svn changelist" should default to
> > svn_depth_infinite rather than svn_depth_empty. Then (a) "svn cl new
> > --cl old" lets you do a rename, without need an extra "-R"
>
> I think svn_depth_empty would be a better default if dirs can be members
> of changelists (otherwise, every changelist-operation on the dir applies
> to its children too). I agree svn_depth_infinite is a better default if
> dirs cannot be members of changelists.

They can't be at the moment.

I'm OK with, if a future version decides to allow directories on
changelists, making people use "svn cl --depth=empty name dir" to put
the directory on it (or -N).

> > and (b)
> > "svn cl clname directory" will add the directory's recursive contents
> > to clname instead of just doing *nothing*.
> >
>
> If all the dir's children should be in a changelist, why not pass that
> dir as an argument on the commandline, avoiding changelists altogether?

Because they might not be committing for a while...

--dave

> > (If this change doesn't happen, perhaps a warning (ie, notification)
> > that a directory is being skipped would be useful.)
> >
>
> +1 (moral support).
>
> Daniel
>
> > --dave
> >
>

-- 
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_subversion.tigris.org
Received on 2008-02-27 00:35:15 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.