[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: branch 1.5?

From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:40:13 -0500

On Jan 28, 2008 4:35 PM, David Glasser <glasser_at_davidglasser.net> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 1:29 PM, Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 2008 4:25 PM, David Glasser <glasser_at_davidglasser.net> wrote:
> > > I think we're ready to branch 1.5.
> > >
> > > It's not done yet, sure. There are still even some big decisions to
> > > make (include 2897? some back-compatibility things? etc). But we'll
> > > never be able to start stabilizing if every new subfeature has to be
> > > evaluated both as "is this worth having in Subversion?" and "is this
> > > worth having in 1.5?"
> > >
> > > I think that given the amount of work that is needed, we should have a
> > > relaxed approach to backporting until we're actually ready to roll a
> > > release candidate (either not using the STATUS system at all, or
> > > requiring just two votes (which can be on IRC), etc). But I think we
> > > are ready to branch, and free up trunk for non-1.5-related work.
> >
> > I pretty much agree with you. I was just waiting for this issue of
> > the node-origins cache to be clarified before I intended to make the
> > same proposal. It seems like we could reach a consensus and
> > conclusion on that issue and then branch.
> I dunno, I think this is a pretty easy issue to deal with post-branch,
> given that I already implemented three different solutions... it's
> really just a matter of deciding which one (or a combination, or
> whatever) is best, which doesn't really benefit from "being on trunk"
> vs not.

I hear ya.

Whether we do it pre or post branch, I'd like to see us resolve this
particular issue ASAP. The reason is that I would like to start
putting out new binaries on openCollabNet once we branch so that we
can encourage some of our users to do some more testing. It is just a
pain if they have to do dump/load each time I update the binaries
because we keep making small changes to the format. Aside from that,
I do not care if we do it before or after the branch.

Mark Phippard
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help_at_subversion.tigris.org
Received on 2008-01-28 22:40:34 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.