[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Subversion messages used in PO files

From: Jens Seidel <jensseidel_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Date: 2006-10-18 13:47:36 CEST

Hi,

together with Lübbe I updated and (partially) proofread the German
translation. Currently there are only three (large) messages untranslated
(in trunk) which will be corrected still today.

I noticed a few minor issues with the strings.

First of all I suggest you avoid tech jargon such as prop-rev. Either
you refer to a so called element (in the dump file?) or to "property
revision". How the hell should this be translated without always looking
in the code? If you refer to an element or literal string you should
quote it, or even better, ensure that it doesn't occur in the
translatable string (by using "%s" replacements). The latter would also
sometimes allow to reuse one message translation.

You can also probably use special comments in front of messages (at least
if you use gettext), such as "/* Translators: blabla */" to explain
strings.

#: libsvn_fs_base/dag.c:592
#, c-format
msgid "Can't set proplist on *immutable* node-revision %s"

You use everywhere "node-rev" instead of "node-revision".
(What would be the difference if using "node revision"?)

#: libsvn_ra_dav/replay.c:310
msgid "Got close-directory element without ever opening a directory"

Inconsistent with surrounding messages, which use "open_directory"
instead of "opening a directory". I like "opening a directory" because
thats easiely translatable but the other messages use a different style.

#: libsvn_repos/load.c:988
#, c-format
msgid " * editing path : %s ..."

The space infront of ":" is French style, isn't it?
Remove it (multiple affected strings)!

#: libsvn_subr/io.c:2048
#, c-format
msgid "Can't set process '%s' child errfile"
msgstr "Kann Fehlerausgabe des Kindprozesses '%s' nicht setzen"

This was very funny translated and I think the msgid could be wrong.
%s itself is the child process but the text could easily be so interpreted
that %s creates a new child!?
Why not just "Can't set errfile of child process '%s'" (multiple times)?

#: libsvn_subr/opt.c:974
#, c-format
msgid ""
"%s, version %s\n"
" compiled %s, %s\n"
"\n"
msgstr ""
"%s, Version %s\n"
" übersetzt %s, %s\n"
"\n"

The date is (in version 1.4.0) not translateable:
"svn, Version 1.4.0 (r21228)
   übersetzt Sep 15 2006, 10:25:26"

It should be "15. September 2006, 10:25:26"

#: svn/main.c:418
msgid ""
"Display information about a local or remote item.\n"
"usage: info [TARGET[@REV]...]\n"
"\n"
" Print information about each TARGET (default: '.')\n"

Here is the full stop at the end of line missing.

" TARGET may be either a working-copy path or URL. If specified, REV\n"
" determines in which revision the target is first looked up.\n"

#: svn/main.c:563
msgid ""
"Edit a property with an external editor.\n"
"usage: 1. propedit PROPNAME TARGET...\n"
" 2. propedit PROPNAME --revprop -r REV [TARGET]\n"
"\n"
" 1. Edits versioned prop in working copy or repository.\n"
" 2. Edits unversioned remote prop on repos revision.\n"
" TARGET only determines which repository to access.\n"

What's a prop? s/prop/property/, s/repos/repository/
2. also works in the (local) working copy, not only with repositories.
What does this "remote properties" refer to?

#: svn/main.c:607
msgid ""
"Set the value of a property on files, dirs, or revisions.\n"
"usage: 1. propset PROPNAME PROPVAL PATH...\n"
" 2. propset PROPNAME --revprop -r REV PROPVAL [TARGET]\n"
"\n"
" 1. Creates a versioned, local propchange in working copy.\n"
" 2. Creates an unversioned, remote propchange on repos revision.\n"

Better: "Modifies or creates a versioned, local property"

#: svn/main.c:781
msgid ""
"Bring changes from the repository into the working copy.\n"
"usage: update [PATH...]\n"
"\n"
" If no revision given, bring working copy up-to-date with HEAD rev.\n"

s/If no revision given/If no revision is given/

The message
#: libsvn_subr/version.c:74
#, c-format
msgid "Version mismatch in '%s': found %d.%d.%d%s, expected %d.%d.%d%s"

Creates funny output (LD_LIBRARY_PATH points to an old 1.3 version of svn_delta, svn_subr):

$ LANG=C svn help
svn: Version mismatch in 'svn_delta': found 1.3.0, expected 1.5.0-dev
svn: Version mismatch in 'svn_subr': found 1.3.0, expected 1.5.0-dev
$ unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ LANG=C svn help
svn: Version mismatch in 'svn_delta': found 1.5.0-dev, expected 1.3.0
svn: Version mismatch in 'svn_subr': found 1.5.0-dev, expected 1.3.0

Maybe you should also output what module required loading of svn_delta
and svn_subr. An indirect dependency is the only reason I can imagine
for this funny output.

PS: If you want to fix messages please try to change translations (if
possible) too, to avoid new fuzzy messages.

Jens

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Oct 18 13:46:44 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.