[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [Bug] Language Mix in Subversion messages

From: Mathias Weinert <mathias.weinert_at_gfa-net.de>
Date: 2006-08-18 15:35:13 CEST

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Mathias Weinert schrieb:
> > Please look at the following commands with their output. As you can see
> > not all messages are shown in German language (as expected).
> It would be good to focus on a single case at a time, otherwise,
> people start discussing endlessly that this isn't a bug (as you
> have noticed).

For me this is (was) a single case: Some messages are shown in German
and some in English. Now we know that there seem to be different
causes but (for me) this wasn't obvious at the beginning of this thread.

> > $ svn ps svn:log --revprop -r 1000 tester .
> > svn: No such revision 1000
> Let's take this example. I believe it's a real bug, because this
> message comes from the server:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <D:error xmlns:D="DAV:" xmlns:m="http://apache.org/dav/xmlns"
> xmlns:C="svn:">
> <C:error/>
> <m:human-readable errcode="160006">
> No such revision 10000
> </m:human-readable>
> </D:error>
> As the server generates this message, the message is in the
> locale of the server, not in the locale of the client.
> This is a design limitation of the subversion architecture:
> error messages generated on the server will not be translated.

I think you are right. The problem occurs with all messages that are
generated by the subersion server. When I start the Subversion server
after setting LANG to 'fr' there I get the server messages in French.

> To overcome the limitation, the client would need to
> communicate its UI language first, so that the server could
> format the message in the right language. That's likely a
> big change. The exact mechanism should probably depend on
> the access protocol; for DAV, sending and processing
> Accept-Language seems to be a compatible protocol
> extension.

If the server was able to translate the message according to a parameter
it receives from the client, the client should be able to translate the
message before printing it, too.

> > $ svn ps svn:log --revprop -r 100 tester .
> > svn: Repository has not been enabled to accept revision propchanges;
> > ask the administrator to create a pre-revprop-change hook
> For some reason, my client doesn't display this message (it's a
> server-side message again); instead, I get
> svn: DAV Anfrage fehlgeschlagen; möglicherweise ist entweder die
> 'pre-revprop-change' Aktion gescheitert oder sie fehlt
> svn: Mindestens eine Eigenschaftsänderung ist fehlgeschlagen;
> Projektarchiv nicht geändert
> This is the translation of
> DAV request failed; it's possible that the repository's
> pre-revprop-change hook either failed or is non-existent
> At least one property change failed; repository is unchanged
> The message you get is transmitted in the responsedescription
> element from the server, but not displayed.
> So you should also report what access mechanism you have
> used; I've used https here.

I used svn protocol.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Fri Aug 18 15:36:08 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.