[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: 0.16 client with 0.17 server?

From: <cmpilato_at_collab.net>
Date: 2003-01-21 22:01:20 CET

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org writes:

  libsvn_ra_dav's sending code should be using all new namespaces. The
  SVN_DAV_FEATURE_USE_OLD_NAMESPACES code is only for the properties
 Ah! Cool! I saw its presence, and wrongly assumed it was part of the
 sending. You're right... it is about reception.
 *Except* when patching the baseline (fetch.c:svn_ra_dav__change_rev_prep)
 That boy needs to be tweaked.

 Hmm. We also fetch the wrong property in svn_ra_dav__rev_prop(). It seems
 like current clients run against current servers won't fetch the right

Yep. You're right. Those are indeed bugs. And proof that we have no
tests for this functionality. :-(

I'll fix the bugs now. (push stack, push stack, push stack...)

 * do we want to let 0.16 clients commit to 0.17 servers? if it is just a
   namespace thing, then let's give it a bit more time to switch to clients
   that send new-style namespaces.

I'm not a good person to ask on this. :-) In my opinion, it is the
responsible of each individual repository administrator to ensure that
the users of that repos aren't screwed. We should always expect new
clients to work on old servers, but I'm less concerned about the
opposite case. :-)

 * it seems like we still have some properties problems, identified above. I
   haven't run the test to confirm, though. Assuming there is a problem, it
   would seem a 0.17.1 is in order, and we can relax the server at the same

0.17.1 is definitely in order. Server relaxation is, again, an
option, in my opinion. Keep in mind that our changes don't
necessitate a fresh Subversion checkout or anything -- people can't
commit, and they can't change revision props. That's non-fatal. They
can update their working copies as-is and build, and *poof* they're
all good. As the effective repos administrator for Subversion, I can
choose to not upgrade our server today as planned, and instead a) wait
another couple of weeks, and b) make sure that notices are sent out
that clients accessing our repository need to be upgraded real

Pre-1.0, I'd rather plow through with assumption that today's
Subversion users understand that upgrading often is the only way to
go than play the six-month-compatibility-sliding-window game.

But that's my personal, non-CollabNet stance. :-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sat Oct 14 02:04:56 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.