[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: M7: Branches and Tags

From: Greg Stein <gstein_at_lyra.org>
Date: 2001-11-15 21:09:03 CET

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 09:43:32AM -0800, Bruce Atherton wrote:
> At 09:40 PM 11/14/2001 -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>...
> >Wow. Hm. I wonder if more experienced CVS users on this list can
> >address your use-case better. Perhaps properties are what you want,
> >as you say... Subversion doesn't "tag" files the way RCS does; all
> >you can do is make cheap copies on the server.
>
> Yes, and I presume there wouldn't be nearly as much overhead in setting a
> property on a particular set of files/revisions.

Properties are more expensive than copies.

> >So, in your ideal world, it would be possible to type
> >
> > $ svn cp . mytag1
> >
> >And voila, your mixed-revision working copy magically appears in some
> >'automatic' tags-area on the server?
> >(i.e. http://foo.com/repos/tags/mytag1 is created)
>
> Yes, something like that. I'm not concerned with exactly how it is
> accomplished, I just think it should be easy for those environments where
> it is a common action.

You can do that today:

  $ svn cp trunk tags/mytag1
  $ svn commit

That is awfully simple to me. Ben just gave an example using a URL. The URL
form avoids the disk copy associated with the above command (a copy within
the working copy will make a disk copy).

> >My only comment on this is that perhaps that the "default" tags path
> >can live in an .svnrc?
>
> That is somewhat complicated by the fact that the recommended tags
> directory is kept per project, which means there is no single default tags
> path.

You could have per-project defaults in the .svnrc ... but the point is still
valid.

> That's why I suggested a replacement on a portion of the URL. Then
> there is the issue of tags on branches. Since branches are essentially tag
> directories that can be committed against, there has to be support in
> Subversion for tags within tags, and I'm not clear on exactly how a .svnrc
> file can provide that.

Since tags are just copies between directories, we don't want to enforce
specific directory structures within the core code.

> In any case, the reason I brought this up is because I saw problems with
> the current "svn cp" concept for tagging. If you guys think that the best
> solution to this problem is to throw a layer over top of the current design
> rather than reworking it, then this becomes a bikeshed issue and I'll drop
> it for now.

"Tags" are copies. That is defined and closed :-)

How that copy is performed is up to discussion. And to some extent, it is a
bikeshed. But all "user model" / "user interface" discussions are bikesheds
for the most part. The hard part is figuring out the model/interface that is
easiest and most intuitive.

Cheers,
-g

-- 
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sat Oct 21 14:36:48 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.