[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Subversion 1.9.1 and SVNParentPath

From: Branko ─îibej <brane_at_wandisco.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 09:59:43 +0200

On 07.09.2015 02:16, Tony Butt wrote:
> On 07/09/15 10:10, Tony Butt wrote:
>> > # Compression options
>> > AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml
>> > SetInputFilter DEFLATE
>> >
>> > # Krb Authentication
>> > Include /etc/apache2/krb.conf
>> >
>> > AuthDBMType default
>> > AuthDBMGroupFile /srv/www/groupsdb
>> > <RequireAll>
>> > Require group software hardware
>> > Require valid-user
>> > </RequireAll>
>> >
>> > AuthZSVNAccessFile /srv/svn/access
>> >
>> >
>> > </Location>
>> >
>> >
>> > I installed the subversion 1.9.0 RC a little while back on this
>> machine,
>> > all OK.
>> > Installed subversion 1.9.0 release Monday, had to set
>> > --enable-broken-httpd-auth
>> > to build successfully. Went to the apache config and ensured that
>> nobrane_at_wandisco.com
>> > unauthenticated access was possible to the document root. All OK.
>> >
>> > I installed subversion 1.9.1 yesterday, built and installed OK.
>> > On testing repos access, I can browse to http://hostname/repos/ ,
>> > but any attempt to access http://hostname/repos/name1
>> > fails, with this message at the browser.
>> >
>> > "Unauthorized This server could not verify that you are authorized to
>> > access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong
>> credentials
>> > (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply
>> > the credentials required."
>> >
>> > Reverting to Subversion 1.8.13, or 1.9.0 resolves this.
>> > Changing the configuration to not use SVNParentPath, by specifying
>> > individual repositories with SVNPath resolves this too.
>> > Some interaction between the svnauthz changes and SVNParentPath
>> seems to
>> > be broken
>>
>> When you upgraded Subversion, did you also restart httpd? (Using
>> 'apachectl graceful' or 'apachectl restart' or reasonable equivalent.)
>> brane_at_wandisco.com
>> -- Brane
>>
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been off work sick for a while,
> and am only just subscribing to the list.
> Sorry also for the somewhat dodgy reply format too, working around the
> non-subscription.
>
> Yes, I did restart httpd - I went through the sequence of changing
> installed versions at least twice as well, restarting each time.
>
> I looked at the changelog for 1.9.1, and didn't see anything obvious,
> but...
>
> I can easily test against our config if there is a change you want
> tested - OTOH, it might be configuration or user error (unlikely, but
> possible). I'm not new to subversion though, so I hope I covered the
> obvious stuff...

At the moment, considering another report, it seems that the problem
stems from an interaction between Kerberos authentication and one of the
recent security fixes in either httpd or Subversion (CVE-2015-3185 or
-3184). If that's the case, then it's probably not specific to 1.9.1 but
exists in 1.9.0, 1.8.14 and 1.7.22 as well, always in combination with
httpd-2.4.16.

I'm trying to track this down but haven't had much success yet.

-- Brane
Received on 2015-09-07 10:00:01 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.