[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: SVN 1.8 timeout fix

From: <Paul.Gillis_at_L-3Com.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:20:32 +0000

When I say we upgraded from 1.7 to 1.8, we configured and deployed a new server running CollabNetSubversion-server-1.8.9-2-Win32 that replaced our 1.7 server. All clients uninstalled 1.7, reinstalled 1.8 and rebooted.

I just tried setting SVNAllowBulkUpdates to Prefer and I re-enabled KeepAlive setting MaxKeepAliveRequests to 1000. That also seems to work for us.

When I initially used the default skelta-mode, small checkouts and commits worked perfectly fine. Large checkouts or commits would begin normally but the file transfer rate would quickly drop to 0 and the operation would time out. Increasing MaxKeepAliveRequests to 1000 didn't help. When I disabled KeepAlive, it solved the problem. However, with KeepAlive disabled, I discovered we can't browse repositories from a web browser. Apparently, this is a know serf bug. http://grokbase.com/t/subversion/users/136n5tvzx1/tsvn-and-svn-1-8-0-cannot-digest-authenticate.

Paul Gillis
Engineering Support Specialist
L-3 Warrior Systems, Insight
9 Akira Way, Londonderry, NH 03053
(603) 551-6167

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Martin [mailto:philip.martin_at_wandisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:13 PM
To: Gillis, Paul @ ESG - WSS - Insight
Cc: users_at_subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: SVN 1.8 timeout fix

<Paul.Gillis_at_L-3Com.com> writes:

> We just upgraded from Subversion 1.7 to 1.8 and almost immediately
> began getting timeouts checking out larger repositories. The Tortoise
> file transfer rate would quickly diminish to 0 and eventually return
> an error. The subversion command client would terminate with "svn
> E175012 Connection timed out." I found several reports from other who
> encountered the same thing, but there were no solutions offered. Some
> people said they simply reverted back to 1.7.

I assume you are referring to an upgrade of the client from 1.7 to 1.8.
Did you also upgrade the server? Which version is running on the server?

One change in 1.8 is that serf is used to handle HTTP on the client-side rather than neon. The default client-side HTTP timeout when using neon is 60 minutes but when using serf it is 10 minutes. A client can change its default timeout by setting servers:global:http-timeout.

If you upgraded the server to 1.8 then update/checkout will have switched to skelta-mode by default and I suppose configuring the client or server to use bulk-mode might solve the problem:


Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco // *Non-Stop Data*
Received on 2014-10-15 13:21:03 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.