[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Repository migrated via SVNSYNC is much smaller than one migrated using SVNADMIN DUMP/LOAD

From: Christopher Lamb <christopher.lamb_at_ch.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 18:12:21 +0200

Hi all

we are in the process of migrating a SVN repository from Windows to Linux.

While experimenting how best to do this I have tried using both SVNADMIN
DUMP / LOAD, SVNSYNC, and even SVNRDUMP. The resulting target repos have
dramatically different sizes, hence this mail.

Original repo size 5.51 GB

Almost 19,000 revisions

SVN version 1.5.1


Windows Server 2003

Target repo(s)

SVN version 1.7.14 (r1542130)


Oracle Enterprise Linux 7.0

In both cases SVN was installed as an executable (i.e. not compiled or

modified by us).

I first attempted a migration using SVNADMIN DUMP / LOAD. This gave me a

dump file of 10.8 GB. However, as we encountered the" E125005: Cannot

accept non-LF line endings in 'svn:log' property" error (more of which at

the bottom of this mail), I also tried migrations using SVNSYNC and

SVNRDUMP, as these tools should auto-correct the non LF line-endings.

Migrating using SVNADMIN DUMP / LOAD, I get a target repo of 4.5 GB

Migrating using SVNSYNC, I get a target repo of 149 MB! I have tried

running SVNSYNC from the target machine (OEL 7.0), and from the source

machine (Win 2003), and get the same result. SVNRDUMP also gives a repo of

149 MB

To eliminate OEL 7.0 / SVN 1.7.14 as factors, I also did a test migration

via SVNSYNC to SVN on an OEL 6.5 running SVN 1.6.11 (r934486). This gave a

repo of 148 MB.

So SVNADMIN gives me a 4.5 GB repo, which is close in size to the original

repo size (5.51 GB), but SVNSYNC & SVNRDUMP give me 149 MB repos!

Drilling down into the file system of the repos, I can see that:

a) the revprops directories of SVNADMIN and SVNSYNC loaded repos are both


b) the revs directories contain a similar number of files, but have

significant size differences:

4.4G /svn_repos/repo_loadedby_svnadmin/db/revs
75M /svn_repos/repo_loadedby_svnsync/db/revs

SVN LIST gives results for the repo loaded by SVNADMIN, but nothing for

those loaded via SVNSYNC.

Any ideas what is going wrong with SVNSYNC? Have I missed anything? I have

googled myself to near death, but cannot find any similar reports.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris Lamb

IT Architect

p.s, on the topic of E125005:

The various sed based solutions suggested on

 did not work for me. The resulting file produced the same error.

I did not want to use -bypass-prop-validation, as this just delays the

problem until a later date.

I ended up using the SVN 1.5.1 SVNSYNC (which also throws this error) to

identify the affected properties, then corrected them via svn propedit,

editing one property higher than the last revision reported.

svn propedit svn:log svn://otms/repo_source --username XXXX --password
xxxx --revprop -r 14928

In most cases, just saving the property "unchanged" in vi was enough to
correct it. Having edited the property, I then rerun SVNSYNC until the next
error ...
Received on 2014-08-28 18:27:15 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.