[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Seeking help for "E000054: Error retrieving REPORT: Connection reset by peer"

From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 17:09:40 +0100

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Philip Martin wrote:
>
> I get a problem with the checkout from your server using a trunk client.
> Very occasionally the checkout works but most of the time the client
> simply hangs while receiving the first file.
>
> It appears that the client is sending the REPORT request and receiving
> the response from the server. The client then pipelines 13 GET requests
> corresponding to the 13 files in the working copy. The server starts
> sending the response to the first GET and the client starts receiving it
> but the server never completes the response. The client hangs waiting
> for the server and eventually times out.
>
> If I use wireshark it shows the server sending an RST packet just before
> the client hangs. According to wireshark this is a "Bad checksum"
> packet. Wireshark shows the client retransmitting the GETs but there is
> no further server repsonse.
>
> I don't know enough to debug the problem further.

I now upgraded the SVN client to 1.9.0-dev from trunk. With trunk
version it's still inconsistent behaviour, but at least reproducible
to a certain extent.

I tried to checkout file a couple of times. Almost every time I get
the following lines in error.log on the server:

Unable to deliver content. [500, #0]
Could not write data to filter. [500, #175002]

but the first time the whole checkout finished successfully, even
though the server first recorded "500" and apparently another "200"
(success) on the second attempt for the same file. The client ended
with success.

The second time the client reported
    svn: E000054: Error running context: Connection reset by peer
(and the same happened when I ran it for the third/fourth/fifth/...
time) Sometimes it works though. And it usually hangs on different
files.

I'm unable to reproduce the faulty behaviour if I do a checkout from
the same network where the server is located, no matter what I try
(upgrading SVN client doesn't "help" triggering the error). Philip
also said that he had no problem doing a checkout with client version
1.8.5 or 1.7.

With subversion client 1.8.5 I'm sometimes able to reproduce the
problem from a different network, but it usually works. I tried
wireshark, but I don't know what to do with the zillions of packets it
shows me.

I'll first try to copy the repository to another server to see if I
could reproduce the problem from there. Other than that I would be
grateful for any hints if there exists some painless way to debug the
server.

Mojca
Received on 2014-01-09 17:11:44 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.