[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Built 1.8.1 from source: "libz.so.1: no version information available"

From: Randy <nya_macha_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:13:58 -0700 (PDT)

> You are using shared libraries.  --enable-static merely enables static
> libraries to be produced, it does not cause the build to use them.

I see. Then my problem is not knowing how to tell the build to use the zlib I built. When I build svn and point to the location of my zlib prefix (see command in original post), svn still looks for "/lib64/libz.so.1". Also I noticed that "libz.so.1" doesn't exist in my zlib prefix location (/tmp-build/zlib)

The location is "tmp" because I am not trying to replace zlib on this system, I'm  trying to package zlib with my build of subversion. This way subversion is deploy-able to different machines and less reliant on local libraries.

> The only problem you have shown is using different zlibs at build time
> and after install.  Either use the system zlib during the build or
> arrange for your zlib to be used after install.

Right. My attempts to make them both use the same version have been unsuccessful. If I don't build zlib manually, subversion still seems to use a newer version of zlib than the one I have locally (and results in the same error). If I do build zlib manually, I can't seem to tell subversion to use the one I built. svn still looks for "/lib64/libz.so.1"

In any case, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Philip. I really apprecaite the help.
Randy

----- Original Message -----
From: Philip Martin <philip.martin_at_wandisco.com>
To: Randy <nya_macha_at_yahoo.com>
Cc: "users_at_subversion.apache.org" <users_at_subversion.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2013 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: Built 1.8.1 from source: "libz.so.1: no version information available"

Randy <nya_macha_at_yahoo.com> writes:

> Thank you for the reply. I think you are correct about it being a zlib
> version problem. But the error with "/lib64/libz.so.1" happens whether
> I build svn with the dependencies or without. The reason I am
> attempting to build it with the static libraries (which are fetched

You are using shared libraries.  --enable-static merely enables static
libraries to be produced, it does not cause the build to use them.

> with the included "get-deps.sh" script) is to prevent it from trying
> to use "/lib64/libz.so.1" which appears to have zlib version
> problem. However ldd shows my svn using "/lib64/libz.so.1" no matter
> what I do.

The only problem you have shown is using different zlibs at build time
and after install.  Either use the system zlib during the build or
arrange for your zlib to be used after install.

-- 
Philip Martin | Subversion Committer
WANdisco | Non-Stop Data
Received on 2013-08-12 20:17:10 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.