On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 04:21:48PM -0400, Kenny Raghunath wrote:
> I'm having these strange issues when moving my code onto my production
> environment. I start out by doing my PHP code within the trunk. When I'm
> done, I merge my changes into a release branch and then deploy it via
> Beanstalkapp to my staging environment. When I'm sure that the code is in
> working order, I then deploy it manually via Beanstalkapp. Once the manual
> deployment is complete, I verify my changes are on production and continue
> working inside the trunk. Now, the strange part is that I get a phone call
> from my client stating that the changes that I've done are not being shown.
> When I go in and check the code, it's not there anymore. When I do the
> deployment a second time, the changes are shown to be correct again and
> this time, it sticks. I'm not sure if this has to do something with
> Subversion or the fact that I'm using Beanstalkapp to move my code around,
> but this one is the most recent one.
> Another instance of my code reverting itself would be when I was doing
> changes to my trunk and I'm doing micro-commits. I've noticed that the
> changes that I have been doing were there, but some changes aren't. For
> example, I was editing fileA.php for a few commits. I wouldn't see the
> changes I've made two revisions ago, but I'd see changes that I've made at
> the current revision. It seemed like my code was mixing itself up for some
> reason. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?
A common problem case is:
- You have a versioned file open in an editor.
- You run 'svn update' and the file receives changes from the repository.
- The editor doesn't notice the file has been changed on disk, so the
changes brought in by the update are not reflected in the editor window.
- You save from the editor, overwriting changes brought in during the update.
- You commit the current state without checking that what you're
committing is really what you intend to commit, undoing already
I suspect you're running into some variant of this problem.
The usual workaround is to get a smarter editor, or close the editor
before running 'svn update'.
You should review the changes which were actually committed to find out
what happened. In Subversion 1.7 you can run
svn log --diff
on a file which had changes undone accidentally. Then check each diff
for changes that are unrelated to what was supposed to be committed.
Maybe that will help you with pinpointing the cause of the problem.
Received on 2012-09-26 12:00:39 CEST