[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

AW: strange merge conflict wrt. keywords

From: Becker, Thomas <Thomas.Becker_at_torex.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:51:30 +0100

One more note: the file that went into the repository with expanded keywords also has Windows (CRLF) line endings in the repository. It looks like the svn client sent the file "as is" ignoring the svn:keywords and svn:eol-style=native properties (or is this a server issue?). This can also be seen nicely in the output of svn diff -c <rev>: for the file in question there are lines like "+ ... $Author some.user $" and all the lines end with ^M. Strange enough that this happened only to one file in a commit that included three file renames.

 

I'm still trying to reproduce this behaviour. Any hints would be appreciated.

 

Regards,

  Thomas

 

________________________________

Von: Becker, Thomas [mailto:Thomas.Becker_at_torex.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Juli 2011 14:09
An: users_at_subversion.apache.org
Betreff: strange merge conflict wrt. keywords

 

Hi,

 

We encountered a strange merge conflict:

 

A branch was created from trunk, nothing was ever committed to this branch and this branch was never the source of a merge. After some time, when merging from trunk to the freshly checked-out branch we got a text conflict for a particular file.

 

It turned out that the trunk version of this file had substituted keywords in the repository when the branch was created. With the next commit on trunk this changed back to the un-expanded forms.

 

The change of the revision where the substituted keywords appeared in the repository was a move of three files in order to change an upper case letter to lower case in the file names. However, the substituted keywords appeared only in one of the files. The svn:keywords property was "Id Date Revision Author URL" for all three files in all revisions.

 

My assumption is that when doing the merge from trunk to branch the keyword line is subject to an incoming change (because they changed back to the generic form on trunk) as well as to local substitution which leads to the observed conflict.

 

My questions now are:

- Is this the expected behaviour or should incoming changes on keywords be ignored?

- How could the substituted keyword get into the repository?

 

For the revision where the substituted keywords appear in the repository we used Windows clients and server (Visual SVN) in whatever version was recent in January 2011. The merge conflict can be observed with Linux and Windows clients in various 1.6 versions.

 

Regards,

  Thomas

 

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Torex (Torex Group of Companies). If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

Torex Retail Solutions GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin. HRB 102273B Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg.
UST.-ID: DE170817515. Steuer-Nr. 27/448/07028. WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30664749.
Geschäftsführer: Stephen Callaghan, Martin Timmann.

 

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Torex
(Torex Group of Companies). If you are not the intended recipient of this email
and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy
or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received
this email in error.

Torex Retail Solutions GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin. HRB 102273B Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg.
UST.-ID: DE170817515. Steuer-Nr. 27/448/07028. WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 30664749.
Geschäftsführer: Stephen Callaghan, Martin Timmann.

.
Received on 2011-07-27 15:22:50 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.