[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: missing carriage returns from output of "svn diff" in Windows

From: David Chapman <dcchapman_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:27:06 -0800

On 2/1/2011 1:29 PM, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 9:39 PM, David Chapman<dcchapman_at_acm.org> wrote:
>> Running Subversion 1.6.15 under Windows 7, if I redirect the output of "svn
>> diff" to a file and then try to edit that file using Notepad, the line
>> breaks are garbled. In particular they have only the '\n' character, not
>> the '\r' character.
>> For example, if "svn_usage_notes.txt" is in my repository, and I do the
>> following in a sandbox:
>> echo foo>> svn_usage_notes.txt
>> echo bar>> svn_usage_notes.txt
>> echo zot>> svn_usage_notes.txt
>> svn diff svn_usage_notes.txt> wowow.txt
>> od -c wowow.txt
>> I get:
>> 0000000 I n d e x : s v n _ u s a g e
>> 0000020 _ n o t e s . t x t \r \n = = = =
>> 0000040 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>> *
>> 0000120 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = \r
>> 0000140 \n - - - s v n _ u s a g e _ n
>> 0000160 o t e s . t x t \t ( r e v i s i
>> 0000200 o n 1 1 1 6 ) \r \n + + + s v
>> 0000220 n _ u s a g e _ n o t e s . t x
>> 0000240 t \t ( w o r k i n g c o p y )
>> 0000260 \r \n @ @ - 6 1 2 2 , 3 + 6 1
>> 0000300 2 2 , 6 @ @ \r \n \n M a r k
>> 0000320 P h i p p a r d \n h t t p :
>> 0000340 / / m a r k p h i p . b l o g s
>> 0000360 p o t . c o m / \n + f o o \n +
>> 0000400 b a r \n + z o t \n
>> 0000413
>> Note how the first part of the file has "\r\n" while the last part (showing
>> the extra lines) has only '\n'. The file itself has "\r\n" for every line,
>> and I have the following line in
>> C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Subversion\config:
>> *.txt = svn:eol-style=native
> Ok, that may be your client side config, but maybe it's not working
> correctly or not being picked up for whatever reason. Can you verify
> directly whether the property is set on the file?
> svn propget svn:eol-style svn_usage_notes.txt

"svn propget svn:eol-style svn_usage_notes.txt" returns "native", as
expected. I should point out that the problem is not specific to this
one file, but is common to every text file in my sandboxes (including C
and C++ source code). I've been using Subversion for years under both
Windows and Linux and am pretty careful to set autoprops for all
appropriate file types. Bad things happen otherwise...

>> The absence of newlines makes it impossible to view the differences file in
>> Notepad. Years ago before I knew about "unzip -a", I wrote a program to add
>> carriage returns to text files being copied from Linux to Windows and so I
>> can use that, but it would be nice to have system-appropriate line endings
>> in the output of "svn diff" without this extra step.
>> Is anyone else seeing this? Is there a configuration parameter I can set to
>> fix it, or is it a bug that should be bumped to the dev list?
> Certainly no need to escalate to the dev list (unless we're going to
> discuss design/implementation considerations or something). We can
> discuss it on this list, and if we find out it's a genuine issue, you
> can submit it to the issue tracker.

It's been a while since I was subscribed to this list, and as I recall
bumping to dev was the next step. Submitting an issue works for me if
that's the preferred way now.

>> (For the record, I have "UnxUtils.zip" loaded, so I have a number of
>> Unix/Linux utilities such as "od" available under Windows, and only the
>> Windows Subversion executable ever writes into a Windows sandbox.)
> Ok, this may be a very important detail. Can you first try to
> reproduce this issue without the UnxUtils loaded?

Uninstalling the Unix utility set is rather a drastic step, but I
removed its executable directory from the
search path for a newly opened shell (there is no "od" and no "diff" on
the search path; I checked). Same result.

> Which client are you using actually (which distribution)? You aren't
> using one from cygwin are you? There are known problems with the svn
> client that comes with cygwin (don't know the details, but I think it
> can be confused about its native eol-style, because it thinks it's
> running on unix etc.).
> Also, is this something new you're seeing only from 1.6.15? Can you
> try reproducing with an older version, and try to find out when the
> problem first appeared?

The installation is Windows native (i.e. Command Prompt) from
Setup-Subversion-1.6.15.msi, downloaded December 26, 2010 as I was
building a new machine to recover from a crash on my old one. :-( I've
never used Cygwin; I always try to ensure that I have enough machines
that I can boot Linux in native mode on a separate machine alongside my
Windows machine. TortoiseSVN is not installed either.

My eight-year-old ThinkPad wheezes a bit, but it still boots Windows XP
eventually and is running Subversion 1.4.5 from svn-win32-1.4.5.zip
(don't know where I got it, but the download file is dated December
2007). Even with the UnxUtils executable directory removed from the
laptop shell's search path, I get the same result. It too is a "bare"
Subversion installation operating from the Command Prompt without Cygwin
or TortoiseSVN. So this has been going on for a while.

The server, BTW, is running Subversion 1.6.11 under Slackware 13.1.
This is the build that came with the distro; I didn't see a need to
upgrade (though I could if there is a compelling reason). Not that I
think server-side is the cause...

Thanks for your comments.

     David Chapman         dcchapman_at_acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA
Received on 2011-02-01 23:27:53 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.